Search for content in message boards

Kempton Congdon, in my Genealogy

Replies: 36

Re: Nova Scotia Congdon related to Joshua (Ireland?)

Posted: 7 Nov 2011 4:32AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: CONDON, PARKER, ARCHER
Are you talking about Stephen Moore Condon b. abt 1847 in N.S. m. Anna Bell Creighton? He was the son of Joshua Stephen Condon and Mary Eliza Hull? All I have on their family is Hattie b. abt 1876 and Wallace b. abt 1878. Would be interested in any information you could provide on their descendants. I'm not related, but am interested in families in the Woodville/Grafton area of Kings County.

I have Joshua Stephen Condon b. abt 1813 was son of James Condon and Nancy Montgomery. Nothing further back than that. (I drop the "g" from Congdon to keep only one list of "Condon" names) There was a Joshua Condon b. 10 Jan 1766, son of James Condon and Sybel Bill. Is there a connection there?

As an aside, I have William Burpee Condon b. 1864, son of William Henry Condon and Rachel Pauline Best. He was a widower when he married Sarah Mabel Wood in Windsor, Hants Co., in 1901. I don't have the name of his first wife. He married Sarah's sister Annie Etta Wood on 31 Aug 1931. My genealogy program says William Burpee Condon (and hence Kempton Wheeloock Condon are my 5th cousins 4 times removed!

I do have a closer relation that that though - Samuel G. Condon, b. abt 1836, son of Samuel Condon and Ruth Fisher married my g,g, aunt Mary Desiah (or Desire) Parker. Their daughter was Mary Ruth Condon who married Tracey Harley Archer and had a son Alfred Cecil. I found the following when doing a google search for them - in reference to the disaster of the "Empress of Ireland" in the Saint. Lawrence River. I'd be interested in knowing what became of Tracey Harley Archer.
June 10, 1914
Lost in the Empress of Ireland.
Mrs. Tracey H. Archer, of Manna, Saskatchewan, formerly Miss Mary Ruth Congdon, daughter of the late Samuel G. Congdon, of Berwick, with her little son, Alfred Cecil Archer, perished in the wreck of the Empress of Ireland in the St. Lawrence River, on Friday, May 29th.
Mr. and Mrs. Archer had decided upon a visit to Mr. Archer’s native land and left their home in Saskatchewan some weeks ago for that purpose. Before sailing, they made a brief visit to Mrs. Archer’s mother, now Mrs. Harvey Allen, who resides at New Cape, Westmoreland County, New Brunswick. Proceeding from that place to Quebec they went on board the ill-fated steamer, which sailed on Thursday afternoon, and sank at an early hour the following morning.
In a brief letter written on Monday, June 1st, Mr. Archer says: "My wife and little boy were drowned and I was saved, almost by a miracle." From the despatches we learn that the bodies of Mrs. Archer and the little boy were recovered and were buried in the Protestant Cemetery at Quebec, the burial service being read by the Rev. Canon Scott. This was the first funeral of victims of the disaster.
The following extract from a Quebec despatch will be of interest.
There is much satisfaction among officials and others who had followed the bodies from Rimouski here and who had observed T. H. Archer’s pathetic search for his baby when Archer firmly and finally picked out the body in coffin No. 125 as that of his Alfred.
The baby, with blonde curls and round cheeks, had touched the hearts of the workers at Rimouski. Bodies of the victims had been piled one on another in a shed in Rimouski, and the baby was the apex.
"I am happy," said one official, "to know that the little tot will be buried in a plot that will receive loving care."
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
mary_bez 27 Aug 2002 4:00PM GMT 
Renwick G. Congdon, Jr. 24 Aug 2003 4:11PM GMT 
P Dumont 26 Oct 2002 5:54PM GMT 
bnorthan 24 Apr 2010 1:34AM GMT 
SJFraney 7 Nov 2011 11:32AM GMT 
bnorthan 7 Nov 2011 4:44PM GMT 
bnorthan 7 Nov 2011 4:50PM GMT 
SJFraney 8 Nov 2011 11:01AM GMT 
dumont5086 29 Jan 2013 10:55PM GMT 
sfoleymay9 5 Dec 2003 9:12AM GMT 
per page