Search for content in message boards

George Joseph Horn(e)

Replies: 6

HORNE, George Joseph

Posted: 9 Sep 2000 6:00AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 5 Jul 2001 5:48AM GMT
Surnames: Horne
Jacob Horne was the son of Michael Horne and Barbe Lobgerine (there are various spellings of her name). Jacob Horne emigrated to Canada, but his parents did not. Jacob is shown on the passenger ship for the "Gale" "Liste of the Passengers with their Name, Age, Professions and freights mentioned on board the Gale, Thomas C____ Master bound from Rotterdam to Halifax the 12th June 1851". Jacob Horne is number 85 on the list:
Jacob Horn, age 23, from whence Darmstad, Profession Farmer

I have been told he had a brother, Jean Horne, and he is shown as number 102 on the list:
Johann Horn, age 36, from whence Strasburg, Profession Butcher.

Jean and Jacob Horne (as well as Mathias Nagle [Naugle] and Augustine Wolf) deserted to the French. Jacob married Frances Anastatia Savary on 1 March 1756 at Port la Joie (now Charlottetown), Ile St. Jean (now Prince Edward Island). In order to marry Frances Savary, Jacob had to make a "profession of faith and abjuration" so he obviously was not Catholic. The profession is, of course, in French. I was given a translation which gives the names of Jacob's parents "Today, the fifteenth of February, one thousand seven hundred and fifty six, I, the undersigned, Royal Chaplaine, Priest of the Parish of Port Lajoie, certify that Jacques Horne son of Michael Horne and Barbe Lobgerine, his father and mother, inhabitants of Strasbourg, and Mathias Nagle son of Christophe Nagle and Lisabeth Nagline, his father and mother, inhabitants of Strasbourg, have with a resolute faith confessed to me in front of the church..." etc.

Jacob and Jean Horne (and their families) eventually settled in Quebec and received land grants. At some point Jacob and Frances Horne returned to Nova Scotia and he took an oath of allegiance to the Crown.

St. Paul's Anglican Church Registers show George Horne baptized 24 April 1768 (it does not give a date of birth). Christ Church Anglican Registers in Dartmouth show:
George Horne, of South East Passage, buried 20 April 1848, aged 83 years. This would give him an estimated date of birth of 1765, close enough to the baptismal date in St. Paul's.

Although I have had information given to me as well that George Horne was married before he married Rachel Cook, I have not found any records that would give information on the first marriage. St. Paul's Anglican Church Registers show he was married 23 May 1805 "George Horn Bat'r [Bachelor] to Rachael Cook Wid'w [Widow]" by licence. So either George was a bachelor when he married Rachael Cook, or a someone erred in describing him as a bachelor.

George Horne's Will (dated May 15, 1848) of "the south Easte passage of Halifax" mentions his wife Rachel, "my three sons George Horne, Provo Horne and Alexander Horne" and "my Daughters Mary Ann Jinnoks [Jennex], Eliza Ann Mitchell, Rachael Naugle, Lucy Hannah LeRae and Maria McRae".
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Georgetowngir... 19 Apr 2000 12:00PM GMT 
Darla Grant 26 Jul 2000 12:00PM GMT 
LindaHirtle 7 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT 
AnnaMacDonald... 9 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT 
ednabm 10 Apr 2013 9:04PM GMT 
ednabm 10 Apr 2013 9:16PM GMT 
ednabm 10 Apr 2013 9:05PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions