Search for content in message boards

MARTIN from St. John's died in Halifax

Replies: 8

Re: MARTIN from St. John's died in Halifax

Posted: 6 May 2013 7:37PM GMT
Classification: Query
Yes, this was the father who became a successful farmer in the White Hills. Thomas may have come as a servant to a military man who later found religion and started the Dissenting Church of Christ in St. John's. He was a prolific producer of kids as he and Mary had eleven.

The three son's of Thomas were born in the White Hills/Quidi Vidi/St. John's area. Typically the people in the Royal Newfoundland Companies (RNC) and RA (Royal Artillery) were often soldiers from Great Britain.

Thomas Junior died in the White Hills 1883. He married Ann(e) Murren. I have found only one baptism (son Robert) recorded with the occupation of the father Thomas. The father was listed as a fisherman.
The second brother Henry who married Grace Gallop was likewise listed as a fisherman. He died 1861.

So whither "whent" John and why so to speak? I can find absolutely n'ar clue as to his whereabouts or a marriage or any kids or anything. The newspaper clipping for the death notice mentioned a family to mourn the loss.

One of the daughters of Thomas Martin (Mary Jane) married a Hennebury and one of their issue is the link to my family ties.

My direct Martin roots are from Harbour Grace but originally from Jersey and Guernsey. However, I have basically given myself the challenge to sort out the Protestant Martin lines. Those MARTINS in and from St. John's are numerous and challenging but after a nine year struggle and 20,000 in my main database and 24 separate Martin folders waiting to be tied in with families all over the island I am making headway.

John is a loose end that I want to resolve.

There may be nothing more in the original Halifax announcement but I would dearly love to see what was printed.

Thank you for your part in this epic challenge.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
GeoffMartin52... 25 Apr 2013 2:17AM GMT 
wmck2 27 Apr 2013 12:56AM GMT 
GeoffMartin52... 27 Apr 2013 5:07AM GMT 
triplebay 6 May 2013 1:53PM GMT 
GeoffMartin52... 6 May 2013 7:01PM GMT 
triplebay 6 May 2013 2:03PM GMT 
GeoffMartin52... 6 May 2013 7:32PM GMT 
triplebay 7 May 2013 1:05AM GMT 
GeoffMartin52... 7 May 2013 1:37AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic