Search for content in message boards

Dingwell

Replies: 1

Dingwell

Barb Dingwell (View posts)
Posted: 19 Feb 2001 5:00AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Dingwell, Leggett
I dug out some 'stuff' and this is what I have come up with: My Great Great Grandfather was Hon. James Dingwell (son of John Dingwell & Margaret McKie), brother of Alexander(married 3 times to a)Eleanor Eliza Burke b)Margaret Aitken & c)Annie Elizabeth Leggett of Halifax, N.S.). Alexander & James were both brothers of Hon. William. Hon. William was the father of Joseph 'Red Joe' Dingwell. Red Joe was the father of Lydia. Lydia was the deaf mute girl in Johnny Belinda, mother of William who was known as Bill Dingwell. Speculation is that Alonzo was the son of Lydia's sister Milvinia and that both boys were fathered by the same man (one theory being a mill worker). There is a lot to this besides the Johnny Belinda story, it is a story that very well could be a work of fiction, but is not. Hon. James and your Alexander also had a brother Hon. Joseph and there are a lot of very interesting stories about his line as well. In case you did not know there were 3 brothers all members of parliment in that family James, William and Joseph. They were all very prominent business men in their own right. I don't think I have a lot that will be helpful to you but you are quite welcome to anything I do have access to. I can tell you who the first Dingwell's were that came to PEI where and when. Hope to hear from you soon.

Barb
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Barb Dingwell 19 Feb 2001 12:00PM GMT 
snewnom1 24 Jun 2013 7:51PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic