Search for content in message boards

BENJAMIN - Wolfville/Horton

Replies: 13

Re: BENJAMIN - Wolfville/Horton

Posted: 7 Mar 2013 4:07AM GMT
Classification: Query
Spurlyn

The DNA testing has assisted me in finding the correct family line. Although none of the tests give the name of
the common ancestor, it does link participants to the
correct family line. The results assist in narrowing
down hours, months, or years, of reasearching if there
are brick walls in one's family tree.

The 37 marker ydna is the one I would recommend to participate with first. It is for males only and is
easier to find the most recent common ancestor as it is the paternal line only. My cousin kindly submitted his dna (12-111ydna) to use as a comparison with matches. He and I share the same grandfather. There seems to be a higher
volume of participants and more matches received. The
37 marker can be upgraded to a 67 or 111 ydna test later
as the dna sample is stored in the lab for 20 years.

The mtDNA test is used for both male and female, but is only for the maternal line (mother to mother) There are
several choices of levels for testing. The higher the level, the higer the pricing. I chose the full sequence mtDNA for myself and then paid a minimal price to have the results interpreted. It is more of a challenge to find the most recent common ancestor shared as there are so many surnames. Also, many partcipants may only have four generations on their family tree and the common ancestor
may be beyond that time period.

I recently upgraded my mtDNA to the new Family Finder test. which is for both males and females and indicates relationships up to 5 generations. This test is more expensive than others, but will pinpoint from "close" to "speculative" relationships. Since this test is fairly
new, there aren't as many participants and there are fewer matches at this time.

Are you from the line of Capt Oldham Gates in Nova Scotia?
Hannah Benjamin B 1669 Cambridge, MA, married Samuel Gates
on 4 May 1688 in Stow, MA. Her sister, Jemima, married
Stephen Gates, also in Stow. This is the Benjamin link to
Capt Oldham Gates and his brother who married Trobridge
sisters in Framingham, MA. The Trobridge sister's parents
are buried in the Old Burial Ground in Framingham. This town is my birthplace and where I lived for over half my lifetime.

One of my most recent surprises is the three new matches with the Dodge line. I'm still trying to find the common
ancestor, but think it may be Josiah Dodge.

Enjoy!
Sandy Loughman
Jacksonville, FL
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
seasidesandy1 17 Feb 2013 5:28PM GMT 
spurlyngates 6 Mar 2013 4:46PM GMT 
seasidesandy1 7 Mar 2013 11:07AM GMT 
seasidesandy1 4 Aug 2013 9:02AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic