Search for content in message boards

Seeking Murray kin & information

Replies: 12

Re: Seeking Murray kin & information

Posted: 27 Oct 2012 10:11AM GMT
Classification: Query
Thank you all for the replies. Hello Dave, I remember we had some correspondence about two years ago. I hope you and yours are doing well. I am a decedent of William Murray, Jr. (Mary’s older brother).

There are still some inconsistencies I have not been able to reconcile however…

First, according to Dale H. Cook, (Member, NEHGS and MA Society of Mayflower Descendants;
Plymouth Co. MA Coordinator for the USGenWeb Project & Administrator of http://plymouthcolony.net), who was kind enough to do some research for me…
“He could not have been born in North Bridgewater in 1722 or 1723 because that town did not exist until 1823. See: Robert T. Swan and Henry Ernest Woods, Editors, "Historical Data Relating to Counties, Cities and Towns in Massachusetts," First Edition (Boston: Wright & Potter, 1920) or any of the four subsequent editions.
No record of his birth is found in the published vital records of Milton or Sandwich. No record of his birth is found in the published vital records of Bridgewater, and no record of his baptism is found in the published vital records of any of the four Bridgewater’s.”

So William’s birthplace is still a mystery to me…

Second, I have seen it said that he is the son of John & Ann (Bennett) Murray, who did indeed have a son named William who was in the army. But in reading the “Letters of James Murray the Loyalist”, who would have been his older brother, William was born on Wednesday, Apr. 10th 1724 in Unthank, Ewes, Dumfries, Scotland and was in Ireland in 1771 where he sold out of the army.
And the Elizabeth Murray Project (http://www.csulb.edu/projects/elizabethmurray/EM/archive.htm...)
Family letters indicate that he remained in London for some time after this. Nothing in all of this family’s correspondence (that I have been able to find) indicate any mention of him ever being in Nova Scotia or marrying at all.

So I fear William’s parents will remain a mystery to me as well…

I would be pleased to hear from any other relations as well.
Again, thank you all…

Fred Murray
mabaas2010@gmail.com
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Murray_Fred 22 Dec 2012 11:17PM GMT 
rkempton118 27 Oct 2012 12:28AM GMT 
Murray_Fred 27 Oct 2012 4:11PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions