Fergusons and MacDonalds, Richmond/Inverness

Replies: 0

Fergusons and MacDonalds, Richmond/Inverness

Posted: 30 Aug 2012 5:54PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 30 Aug 2012 5:57PM GMT
Surnames: Ferguson, MacDonald, MacKenzie, Urquhart
Hi, folks.
My name's Presley Ferguson, and I'm looking to further my research into my direct paternal Ferguson ancestry, and possibly find collaborators.

As of late, I've mainly been using novascotiagenealogy.com to search old birth records, death records and marriage records, as well as using automatedgenealogy to search census records.

I'll share what I know thus far, and if you feel you can contribute or collaborate, please let me know.

I'll start with my Great-Grandfather, Ronald Neil Ferguson.

Ronald Neil Ferguson (b. Dec 9, 1898, Cleveland, Richmond County, Nova Scotia, Canada) was the son of Neil Ferguson (b. Aug 15, 1840 - d. abt 1917) and Catherine S. MacDonald. On Dec 20, 1933, Orangedale, Inverness Country, Nova Scotia, Canada, Ronald married Annie Lillian MacDonald (b. Dec 16, 1909, Grande Anse, Richmond County, Nova Scotia, Canada), the daughter of Murdock (Murdoch?) MacDonald and Margaret MacKenzie.

According to a testament from a sister written as "Hughene Urquhart" on the Affidavit of Ronald's Delayed Registration of Birth form, he was born whes Hughene was 7-years-old, and was from a "family of 14 children". Although, this conflicts with the census records I've read, which show only 12 children (Ronald N., Cintre A., Catherine M., Norman A., Marion R., Danial H., Ella, Hughene, George E., William E., and Alexander J.). The census records I've seen also show identical birthdates for Norman A. and Marion R. (Jul 24, 1881), as well as for George E. and William E. (Jul 27, 1893), suggesting the possibility of two sets of twins.

Neil - Ronald's father, and my 2nd Great-Grandfather - was the son of Norman Ferguson (b. abt 1786, Scotland) and Christie (maiden name unknown). Norman was a sailor from Scotland, and was the first patriarch of my paternal line to arrive in Nova Scotia. Some of the census records list his family as having lived in Inhabitants River, Richmond County, Nova Scotia.

I could not get much information on Neil's father, Hugh (my 4th Great-Grandfather) except for his name, and his spouse's name, Sarah (maiden name unknown). I am assuming he may have stayed in Scotland. Using my own estimation, I can make a guess at his birth being around the 1730's, or "roughly in the early 18th century".

That's about all I can give you. If you can help, please let me know. My e-mail address is jrmacadie.ns83@gmail.com . Please don't hesitate to drop me a line. Thanks. :)

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions