Search for content in message boards

McDonald/Kerr

Replies: 3

Re: McDonald/Kerr

Posted: 7 Sep 2009 9:43AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: MacLeod/MacDonald/Kerr
Could anyone clarify the relationship between Moriet MacLeod (b. abt 1792 in Scotland, d/o John MacLeod & Ann Shaw - but no documents to support this)who married John Murdock Kerr in 1819 in Badcaul,Scotland and John Alexander MacDonald, Prime Minister of Canada?

I have always been told that Moiret was first cousins with John Alexander MacDonald. Moiret and John are my GGGgrandparents (I descend through their son Alexander, to Roderick D. "Rory" through Alexander E. Kerr, to my Father, George Roderick Kerr.

I do not know of any siblings of Ann Shaw who may have married MacDonalds. I know that Moiret MacLeod was from Harris or Lewis, and was married to John Kerr when they crossed the Atlantic, settling in Nova Scotia in the mid 1820's. There were two ships that made the crossing together, and separated off the coast of Newfoundland in a storm - with reports that the "lost" ship settled in Ontario. I have another story from my Grandfather about a Kerr relative who supported John A. in the election and was allegedly believed to be involved in some balloting irregularities which caused he and his brother to make a hasty exit out of Cape Breton down to Massachusetts, settling in Quincy. So it seems "family" bonds may have been quite strong.

If anyone out there knows the MacLeod/Shaw connection, please let me know, many thanks in advance for your help!

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
canadarock197... 14 Oct 2007 7:52PM GMT 
cbseanair 15 Oct 2007 4:53PM GMT 
mckjenk 2 Dec 2007 5:02PM GMT 
mckjenk 7 Sep 2009 3:43PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic