Search for content in message boards

Children of Harvey Gardner and Mary Hunter

Replies: 0

Children of Harvey Gardner and Mary Hunter

Posted: 10 Oct 2012 3:45PM GMT
Classification: Query
Mary was the first wife of Harvey, my great-great grandfather. I knew they had a son Charles who lived with Harvey and his second wife, Maria Crowell, after they married in 1851 and moved to Calais, Maine. Harvey and Maria had three children who lived to adulthood: Emma Gardner, Edmund Crowell Gardner, and Maria Elizabeth Gardner. Charles would have been seven years old at the time of his mother's death in 1849. Sadly he drowned at age eleven. So far as I knew until this summer, he was the only child of that first marriage.

In August, in the Yarmouth Archives, I found the obituary for Mary Hunter which said she left to grieve a husband and four children. At that time I was unable to find any information leading to the identity of the other three. The only hint was in the Yarmouth Genealogies where the entry for Harvey lists both wives and a daughter, Mary Ellen. This information was submitted by Harvey's brother, Freeman. Other information I found led me to believe that the two brothers may have been estranged. Given that Mary was 48 when she died, her other children may have been old enough to be working or married themselves, thus remaining in Yarmouth.

If anyone has any clue about what might have become of the other three children mentioned, I would be very interested to hear from you.

Find a board about a specific topic