Search for content in message boards

Metis' connection from Gideon Nickerson

Replies: 47

Re: Metis' connection from Gideon Nickerson

Posted: 3 Feb 2013 8:40AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Nickerson/Wheldon/Hopkins/Cooke/MacKinnon/Bearse/Newell
I'm wondering if anyone can read the name of the photographer on these photos. I notice one is from Halifax. Maybe an on-line search for photographers in Halifax in the early days would narrow down the date. One of them looks like a tin type photo and I believe they didn't come into existence until the mid 1800's -- 1860 or something like that.

Another thing I'm wondering about is the Wampanoag connection. I am descended from Giles Hopkins and Catherine Wheldon and always believed she was descended from the Wampanoag tribe through her mother. I have since learned that is not true and that her mother was not a Wampanoag. Information I now have is that all the children of Gabriel Wheldon were born in England "the early records of the Colony have no records of Gabriel Wheldon or his family before 1638; however, the records of Nottingham University have Gabriel and his family in England in 1637 through 1638," Gabriel was first married to a Jane (lnu) and Margaret was Gabriel's second wife and was not the mother of Gabriel's two sons and was probably not the mother of the girls.

Since receiving this information, I have not had time to delve further into it; however, if you were to query Gabriel Wheldon (Whilden/Whelden), you will, in all likelihood, be able to learn much more about this family.

As it's been awhile since I've delved into my Nickerson/Bearse family history, I'm not exactly sure where they come into this line. However, I did notice in one of the messages below that there was mention of the Wampanaug line in connection with Bearse/Nickerson and Wheldon.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
ehmacisaac 3 Feb 2013 1:22PM GMT 
Valeria3 3 Feb 2013 3:40PM GMT 
babieanne57 26 Feb 2010 2:50AM GMT 
HarmonyLee17 27 Jun 2010 9:22AM GMT 
betlemmon 17 Jun 2011 4:30AM GMT 
galearmstrong... 26 Jul 2011 11:39PM GMT 
markramsdell 12 Sep 2011 1:18AM GMT 
markramsdell 12 Sep 2011 1:19AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic