An online database of historical and genealogical information relating to the Westboro/Ottawa West (Nepean Township at one time) area of Ottawa, Ontario, Canada has recently been created.
The website is helpful and informative for genealogical and historical researchers, as well as members of the Westboro community curious in learning more about the history of the neighborhood, or perhaps to research more about the history of their family, house, or street.
The website features:
- The completed transcription of the newly released 1911 Census returns for Westboro, Ottawa West, Hintonburg and Mechanicsville and the 1901 census returns for Westboro, Hintonburg and Mechanicsville via the Automated Geneaology website. There are plans to soon add links to the earlier census returns for these communities.
- Scanned pages of the Ottawa Directories for the following communities, which prior to 1931 were considered to be suburbs of Ottawa:
Nepean Township (most years from 1864-1886)
Richmond Road (most years from 1881-1890; from 1891-1898 this area was included as part of Hintonburg)
Mechanicsville (most years from 1888-1910; in 1898 this area was included as part of Hintonburg)
Hintonburgh (most years from 1891-1899)
Manchesterville (1891 & 1893; After 1893, this area was included as part of Hintonburg)
Ottawa West (1905, 1908, 1930)
Westboro (1924 & 1930)
*more pages will be added in the coming weeks
- Historical maps of the area:
Belden's Carleton County Atlas 1879 (several from this source)
1887 Map of McLeansville, Mechanicsville, Hintonburg and Bayswater
1895 Map of Hintonburgh
1910 Advertising Map of the Clarella Park community
1915 Atlas of Canada (2nd Edition) Map of Hintonburg, West Wellington and Champlain Park Communities
Current (2005) Map of the Westboro/Hintonburg communities
- Monthly column "More Than Just History..", written from 1999-2001 in Westboro's Newswest community paper. This column looked at many historical aspects of the Westboro community. Additions to what the site currently has posted may be done in the coming weeks.
- Historical Society of Ottawa 'Bytown Pamphlet Series' pamphlet from 1994 by Christina Newell, "Hintonburgh: A Working Class Streetcar Suburb at the Turn of the Century".
- An ongoing collection of newspaper articles which appeared in the Ottawa Citizen and Ottawa Journal newspapers, relating to the Westboro/Ottawa West community. Links will be added as articles are found.
- Detailed information on the history of all the streets in these communities - from the original land registry plans, original land sales, street name changes, first residents, significant changes, etc. will be added to the site in the near future.
- Miscellaneous historical information from The Nepean High School Archive will soon be added. Nepean High School, located on Broadview Avenue in Ottawa was built in 1923. Some photos and biographical information from the 1927-1930 yearbooks, photographs and newspaper articles from that era will be added. "The History of Nepean High School" by William K. England, prepared for the N.H.S. 50th Anniversary in 1972 will also soon be scanned and added to the site, as well. The creator of the this website was a student at Nepean High School in the 1990's and also helped to organize the school's 75th Anniversary in 1998.
The plan is to continue to grow and develop the site, adding new data, photos, documents, etc. every week. The web site itself, is very technically basic at present. As information is added, the site will be reconstructed to be more organized, and also more visually appealing. For now, the goal of the site is to provide as much information as quickly as possible, and to establish itself as the source for all historical information relating to Westboro.
You are encouraged to contribute anything that you feel would be beneficial to the site such as old documents, newspaper articles, data, photos, etc.. There is also a message board for anyone wishing to post comments, questions, suggestions, etc.
You can contact the creator of the site, Dave Allston at firstname.lastname@example.org
Dave Allston has done extensive research into the history of the various small communities in that area (Westboro, Champlain Park, West Wellington, Hintonburg, Hampton Park, etc.) and even runs his own small business, "HOUSTALGIA". If you are interested in having home and property/"house history" research done by his company, there is more information on the website.