Search for content in message boards

Orangeville Jail

Replies: 4

Re: Orangeville Jail

Posted: 4 Oct 2012 8:26AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hicks
Not much luck. I know for a fact that Edward is not buried in Forest Lawn, Orangeville, and there is no (existing)gravestone for him in Greenwood, Orangeville. However, the burial register for Greenwood was lost to fire about 1928 and therefore no record would exist of his burial in 1913, if that is where he was buried.

The fact that Edward was in jail does not necessarily mean he had broken the law. Before the time when there were homes for the aged, the jail also served to house those who were poor and had nowhere else to go. I know of one man who was 'committed as a vagrant' and he remained there for 9 years before he died.

If this was the case for Edward, it is almost certain that he would be buried in Greenwood Cemetery in the Potter's Section, as this cemetery is owned and operated by the Town.

It is also possible that Edward may have been buried with his wife who predeceased him, but I have not been able to determine if he was the Edward who married Elizabeth Clark or the Edward who married Emma Leonard. Regardless, I was not able to locate graves for either of them.

If you have any more clues to share. Let me know.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
TamaraKitchen 26 Sep 2012 3:57PM GMT 
sheiladavidso... 28 Sep 2012 4:49AM GMT 
TamaraKitchen 4 Oct 2012 4:00AM GMT 
sheiladavidso... 4 Oct 2012 2:26PM GMT 
TamaraKitchen 5 Oct 2012 1:02PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions