Search for content in message boards

Smith and Colgan family's of Amaranth township

Replies: 11

Re: Smith and Colgan family's of Amaranth township

Posted: 25 Jan 2013 6:05PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Smith, Hall, Williams, Bolwer, Hale
Thanks! I've been working on this family further and the Maria HALL who married Joshua BOWLER has me puzzled. Her death record listed her father as Thomas HALL and mother as SMITH, no first name.

She would have married Joshua BOWLER about 1876, but I couldn't find their marriage in the marriage records on Ancestry.
It would help to see if it listed her father and mother. I have a suspicion that the name Thomas HALL on her death record *might* be an error. Perhaps the person mixed up her father and grandfather? I have seen that happen before.
William HALL and Mary SMITH had a daughter Maria the right age and I can't find a trace of her after the 1861 census. I wonder if they are the same Maria HALL...

The only Thomas HALL I could find lived in Proton township, but his wife was Elizabeth WALKER.

I did find that Joshua BOWLERS older brother William Smith BOWLER married Wilmott WILLIAMS sister to the John WILLIAMS Elizabeth HALL married.

The parents of Joshua were William BOWLER and ANN SMITH. I would have to do further digging, but it looks as though That SMITH line is English and came to Quebec, the BOWLER children were born there before moving to Artemesia Twp. ONT. The WILLIAMS family came from Devon, England according to some death records and I found them there in the 1841 England Census. In 1851 Wilmott WILLIAMS is found in Quebec working as a domestic, there are other SMITHS on the page. Her parents John WILLIAMS Sr. and wife Catharine HALE and brothers Robert, John (married Elizabeth HALL) and Henry were in Artemesia TWP. at that time. I suspect they lived in Quebec for a little while.

I was working on that line hoping to find something to point to the HALL/SMITH line.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
kimmills135 26 Jan 2013 1:05AM GMT 
kimmills135 29 Jan 2013 6:12PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions