Search for content in message boards

Smith and Colgan family's of Amaranth township

Replies: 11

Re: Smith and Colgan family's of Amaranth township

Posted: 29 Jan 2013 11:12AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Smith, Hall, Williams, Leary
I've found a little more interesting info on the William HALL and Mary SMITH family, that moved from Amaranth twp. to Artemesia Twp.

I was looking through the cemetery photos online and found an abandoned cemetery in Artemesia twp. It says that it was a Methodist cemetery that was long ago abandoned, some head stones have been removed and some are damaged.
http://geneofun.on.ca/cems/ON/ONGRY10880

BUT there was a stone there for Mary SMITH wife of William HALL, it shows she died in 1865.

It also shows their daughter Margaret as the wife of John LEARY. There are two stones for this Margaret, she was recorded on her parents stone at the bottom and also had a large head stone that is more easily read.
Going by census records Margaret and John LEARY had 2 children before she died. Ester LEARY born abt 1858, William LEARY born abt 1860. After she died John LEARY married a Frances Hamilton on 14 Jan 1868 in Meaford.

There is also a stone for Mary Ann HALL wife of John WILLIAMS.

Then there is one for a James WILLIAMS born 1854 died 1865, son of John and Mary WILLIAMS.

The child James WILLIAMS, I think is the son of the German John WILLIAMS who lived in Artemesia next to my family in 1861 census. I looked at the census again and he has a son James WILLIAM born in 1854 in the 1861 census. The later census show a James WILLIAM who is much younger. They likely named the next born son after the son who died. They were Methodist so would have used this cemetery.

However, there is also another James WILLIAMS born in 1854 further up on the same census page, staying with another family.

I haven't been able to find the marriage of Mary Ann HALL to John WILLIAMS. I'm wondering if that John WILLIAMS was the one who married Mary Ann's sister Elizabeth HALL. Perhaps after Mary Ann died he married her sister.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
kimmills135 26 Jan 2013 1:05AM GMT 
kimmills135 29 Jan 2013 6:12PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions