Search for content in message boards

VanCamp Cemetery

Replies: 15

Re: VanCamp Cemetery ROSE

Posted: 26 Aug 2009 3:21PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Rose, Bowman, McKerlie
Hi Joanna. Have been working for a number of years on the Daniel Rose family (I descend from his son James). The only way to figure this family out is to use the primary land records for the original land grants and all associated transfers, wills, & assignment documents. The key records for Stamford Presbyterian do not exist for time period in question (1800-1820). This is rather unfortunate because Daniel was one of the founding members of the church so all ceremonies would have taken place there.

Daniel and Jane Rose had 10 children: Hugh, William, Nancy (m. William McKerlie), Jane (m. Richard Thompson), Lewis, Alexander (did not marry), James, Margaret (m. Benjamin Thompson), Peter (did not marry), and Electa (aka Elexa or Lexy, m. Charles Wright). The 1783 census transcription has an error (the entry is a female & I am pretty sure it is Nancy).

The family of the first son Hugh (married Eunice Park) has been a problem because he died intestate. This has caused problems to identify the daughters. Sons were Daniel, Alexander, Rufus Harrington, and Adam B. Through Adam's will I know there is a sister who married a McKerlie (he had left a portion of the estate to his nephew Hugh McKerlie provided he turned 21. Alas, he did not survive to 21 and I have found neither his death nor indication of parents; this also predates the 1851/2 census and being a minor he would not appear on any assessments.

Now, for your Abraham Bowman m Jane Rose. I am working on the thesis that she was a daughter of Hugh & Eunice. The timeline & location fits. It also makes sense for the naming of their son Hugh --this family followed the convention of grandfather-first son naming. However, this is only a thesis, I have yet to find a primary document to confirm this.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Joanna 7 Jul 2006 5:24PM GMT 
Patsy Ault 10 Jul 2006 12:07AM GMT 
Joanna 10 Jul 2006 2:51AM GMT 
Steve_Bowley 26 Aug 2009 9:21PM GMT 
JoannaMorrow7... 27 Aug 2009 2:26AM GMT 
JoannaMorrow7... 28 Aug 2009 4:42PM GMT 
JoannaMorrow7... 28 Aug 2009 5:33PM GMT 
Joanna 10 Jul 2006 3:13AM GMT 
Skyedancer59 21 Oct 2008 1:26PM GMT 
JoannaMorrow7... 22 Oct 2008 1:48AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions