Search for content in message boards

VanCamp Cemetery

Replies: 15

Re: VanCamp Cemetery ROSE

Posted: 21 Oct 2012 9:48AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi Joanna

When we are talking about the Loyalists, something I have recently found out is that many of them came into Niagara during the revolution with Butler's Rangers and Brant's Volunteers (in my line, the Warner's, the Crowder's, the Hopper's, the Campbell's, and a couple of others)...they farmed in Niagara, they received provisions in Niagara, etc...however, sometime during the revolution, they left Niagara, and came back up into Montreal, and were reassigned from Butler's and Brant's regiments to Sir John Johnson's Kings Royal Rangers.

When the revolution was over, they were granted their lands from the Crown in Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry Counties primarily...to somewhat of a degree, also Grenville and Leeds Counties.

For instance, take my William Crowder Sr., the following is from "An Annotated Nominal Roll of Butler's Rangers 1777-1784 with Documentary Sources...Compiled and Arranged by Lieutenant Colonel William A. Smy, OMM, CD, UE

Crowder, William. Private. Senior. Born in Virginia about 1730. Settled at Kinderhook, on the Hudson River about 25 miles south of Albany sometime before 1748. Served in a colonial regiment during the Seven Years' War. At the Battle of Lake George, 1755, and the capture of Montreal, 1760. Joined the Rangers in 1778. Wounded 9 Feb 1779. Sent to Machiche with his family. He and a daughter under twelve years of age were drawing rations in Quebec in Sep 1783. Transferred to the King's Royal Regiment of New York. In garrison at Carleton Island, 1784. Claimed L88 Sterling ($6,578 in 1991 dollars) in war losses, but was awarded L50 Sterling ($3,737 in 1991 US dollars). Settled in Osnabruck. Children: James, Anthony, Isaac, John, William, Elizabeth, Nancy.

I've found quite a few incidents where various ancestors were in Niagara, only to reappear later in Quebec.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Skyedancer59 22 Oct 2008 3:15PM GMT 
sandbrose 16 Dec 2012 6:08PM GMT 
Steve_Bowley 28 Aug 2009 1:15AM GMT 
PatsyAult75 6 Sep 2009 9:49PM GMT 
JoannaMorrow7... 21 Oct 2012 12:41PM GMT 
Skyedancer59 21 Oct 2012 3:48PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions