Search for content in message boards

Raynard/Reynard in Merritton/St. Catharine's

Replies: 4

Raynard/Reynard in Merritton/St. Catharine's

Posted: 4 Oct 2011 3:14AM GMT
Classification: Query
My third great-grandfather, James Raynard Sr., was a longtime resident of the Merritton/St. Catharine's area from at least the early 1850s, but I have been unable to locate who his parents or possible siblings may have been.

He was born in Ireland in July 1829, conceivably in one of the northern counties as he appears to have been a longtime member of the local Loyal Orange Lodge. The earliest record I have of his residence in the Merritton/St. Catharine's area is his April 1854 marriage to Catherine Bradley. The 1851 census for Lincoln county does not exist so locating him among other potential Raynard family relations at that time has proven difficult. Further records do not seem to show other Raynards/Reynards in the Lincoln area. There also does not appear to be any obvious connection to the members of the Raynard clan living in the Perth area during the mid-1850s.

An 1844 marriage record for a Margaret Raynard to an Arthur Bradley in St. Catharine's suggests the possibility of an elder sister, but she appears to have died shortly thereafter with no clues to her origins.

James Raynard Sr. lived in the area until about 1890 when he and his family moved to Idaho. He was variously described in records as a seaman, captain and barge owner. The family returned to Canada about 1903 when they resettled in Alberta. He died in 1904 near Stettler, Alberta.

Any suggestions or possible connections to other Raynards would be greatly appreciated.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
amagi71 4 Oct 2011 9:14AM GMT 
reswhw72 30 Dec 2012 7:52AM GMT 
amagi71 30 Dec 2012 12:36PM GMT 
chrisraynard1 23 May 2013 4:02AM GMT 
amagi71 26 May 2013 1:56PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions