Search for content in message boards

Frederick Verdun Brittain

Replies: 5

Re: Frederick Verdun Brittain

Posted: 27 Mar 2013 7:47AM GMT
Classification: Query
Stephanie, a friend of mine who grew up in New Liskeard, provided me with the following information about the Brittains:

I don't have the birth records for Temiskaming, but I think Cathy Blackburn in Kirkland Lake has them, and I will ask her if she can look up the Frederick Brittain birth.

I have the birth announcements for the "Temiskaming Speaker" newspaper, but there was no announcement ofr Frederick's birth. This would not be unusual if they lived in one of the rural districts north of New Liskeard. I did check the record for Mrs. Maddock's Maternity home, where many of the rural women went to give birth, but there are no records that early.

There were several other Brittain announcements in the "Speaker" about that time:

January, 1912. Married- Mr. T. Brittain to Miss Walker.

29 October, 1912. Born to Mr. & Mrs. T. Brittain, a son

17 May, 1916- Lillie Beatrice Brittain married Francis Morris Livingstone at Thornloe. (Thornloe is a small village about 15 miles north of New Liskeard in Armstrong Township.)

22 February, 1917. Born, to Mr. & Mrs. Thomas Brittain, a son

24 February, 1917. Died, infant son of Mr. and Mrs. Brittain

25 January, 1917. At Ramore, to Mr. & Mrs. Brittain a son. (Ramore is a village close to Matheson, on Highway 11)

The only cemetery MI that I could find is one in Milberta Cemetery (Kerns Township- West of New Liskeard) as follows:

In Memory of George Bunt
1880-1943
His beloved Wife
Hannah Brittain
1876-1961
G. Herbert Bunt
1895-1982

The Haileybury Museum published book a few years ago about the Great Fire of 1922. In it, they mentioned that Mrs. Brittain, the Postmistress at Thornloe was burned out in that fire and found refuge with a neighbour. Also, I have a book (somewhere in my files) on the history of the Thib family (originally Dheeb- one of the Syrian families that migrated to Temiskaming around 1900). As I recall, Sadie Thib, the daughter of Elie Thib married a Brittain. I think they lived in Charlton, near Englehart. When I find the book, I will let you know if there is any info on the Brittain family.

I will let you know if I can dig up any more info on the family.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
stephanie Ebe... 24 Mar 2013 2:27AM GMT 
EileenWilson0... 27 Mar 2013 1:47PM GMT 
stephanie Ebe... 27 Mar 2013 8:41PM GMT 
stephanie Ebe... 27 Mar 2013 8:48PM GMT 
stephanie Ebe... 28 Mar 2013 4:20AM GMT 
EileenWilson0... 28 Mar 2013 12:51PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions