Search for content in message boards

Glengarry Settlers

Replies: 12

Re: Glengarry Settlers

Posted: 23 Jun 2010 5:21PM GMT
Classification: Query
I'm a member of Clan Donald - Glengarry as well. Cadet families are branches of Macdonald lineage, often the younger sons of a senior line such as Glengarry would obtain their own wadsets (leases) and the families decended from them would be known by the name of the property. Due to the heraldry conventions at the time, most cadet lines required a male descendant for the title to pass down. Examples of Cadet names are Lundie, Ardnamurchan, Leek, Greenfield, Scotus, Ardnabie, Sandaig, Shian ... there are about 115 cadet lines, many of which 'died out'. With immigration possibly some families thought to have died out have descendants in Canada that can prove their genealogical connection.

As to spellings, I totally understand. I have to check at least 4 variations when working with Mc/Macdonalds/ells.

My suggestion is to provide any specifics you can on the original Glengarry settling ancestor, lot # or nickname, military service, vitals and spousal info ...

There is a story now unfolding about a group that tried to immigrate to NY to join family that had earlier arrived on the Pearl, on a ship called the Glasgow Packet, but the ship was boarded by British Recruiters and the males were basically impressed into the BRitish Army, their families being shipped to Nova Scotia (or PEI) for the duration. Some people on the Macdonald in 1786 were returning to North America after their experience with the American Revolution. Many were captured (ie. Moore's Creek) by the Americans and paroled in exchange returning to Scotland in most cases for the balance of the war. The other UEL's came directly into the counties in abt 1786, although some are said to have arrived earlier.

Good luck,
Evelyn Goulet, Castle Tioram
Finlaggan Councillor
Clan Donald International
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
gailmale 18 Jun 2010 4:30PM GMT 
Glengarry1746 19 Jun 2010 6:17PM GMT 
malegail1 20 Jun 2010 1:24AM GMT 
Glengarry1746 20 Jun 2010 4:47AM GMT 
malegail1 20 Jun 2010 10:31AM GMT 
evelyngoulet 23 Jun 2010 4:15PM GMT 
lmmacdonald1 23 Jun 2010 9:18PM GMT 
evelyngoulet 23 Jun 2010 11:21PM GMT 
Carol Gottber... 5 Feb 2012 11:29PM GMT 
cagott 25 Jun 2012 8:44PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions