Search for content in message boards

Peter A. Campbell

Replies: 31

Re: Peter A. Campbell

Posted: 12 Sep 2012 10:12PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Campbell Lothian Grout McDiarmid McLaurin
Hi everyone,

I am the grandson of Ruth Annabelle Campbell, (Ruth was the daughter of John and Emma Campbell). I spent a while trying to untangle Peter’s ancestry, and I though I’d share some of my findings relevant to this thread.

I have, passed down to me from my Campbell ancestors, a original marriage certificate for Peter A. Campbell of East Hawkesbury, Prescott, Ontario, and Maggie A. Lothian of Lochiel, Glengarry, Ontario. These are the Peter and Maggie who are identified earlier in this thread in the 1891 census. Also, from pages in a family Bible, I have Peter A. Campbell’s birth as 15 June 1862, and Maggie A. Lothian's birth as 2 October 1859.

I believe the relevant Peter is the following one from the 1871 Census:
Province of Ontario, p. 62, District 75/Prescott, Sub-district A./Township of East Hawkesbury
Dwelling 187/Family 190
Campbell, John, M., 42, b. in Nova Scotia, Free Will Baptist, Scotch, Farmer, married
Campbell, Sebrea, F., 36, b. in Ontario, F. W. Baptist, Unknown/American, married
Campbell, James, M., 11, b. in Ontario, F.W. Baptist, Scotch, going to school
Campbell, Peter, M., 8, b. in Ontario, F. W. Baptist, Scotch, going to school
Campbell, Catherine, F., 78, b in Scotland, F. W. Baptist, Scotch, widowed

Peter’s father John is recorded as being born in Nova Scotia, which sure is close to P.E.I. I speculate in the absence of evidence that perhaps John told them Nova Scotia wanting to name a Canadian birthplace, since P.E.I. entered confederation in 1873, and before that was even considering becoming part of the United States. In any event, the John listed here is recorded in other documents (e.g. the record of his marriage to Ann McGill, and previous censuses) as born in P.E.I. For this reason, I consider the Peter A. Campbell in John’s family the correct one, rather than Allan’s (mentioned above by satch42179).

John’s is the same family described by rancheroo2 above. Note that L’Orignal is very close to Hawkesbury.

John’s family can be established as Alexander and Catherine by locating him in the 1851 census for East Hawkesbury:
54 395 Campbell Alex'r Farmer Scotland Baptist 58 M
54 395 Campbell Catherine Wife Scotland Baptist 58 M
54 395 Campbell John Labourer (son) PEI Baptist 24 S

Sebra at the time is living with her parents and grandparents at the time:
56 405 Grout Lewis Farmer/storekeeper Lower Canada Wesleyan Methodist 44 M
56 405 Grout Gelly Wife Lower Canada Wesleyan Methodist 38 M
56 405 Grout Sebrin (Sebra) Dau. Upper Canada Wesleyan Methodist 18 S
56 405 Grout Solomon Father USA Wesleyan Methodist 78 M
56 405 Grout Sebrin (Sebra Allan) Mother USA Wesleyan Methodist 76 M

Relevant families in 1861:
64 34 Campbell John Farmer Prince Edward Island   Baptist   32 M M 1        
64 35 Campbell Sebra Wife Upper Canada   Baptist   29 F M   1      
64 36 Quesnell Agnes Spinster Upper Canada   Baptist   14 F S   1      
and
62 48 Campbell Alexander Farmer Scotland   Baptist   68 M M 1        
62 49 Campbell Catherine Wife Scotland   Baptist   67 F M   1      
62 50 Campbell Mary   Prince Edward Island   Baptist   39 F S   1      

The family Bible I have includes a John Campbell born 2 December 1829, as well as Mary Campbell born 16 December 1823. I assume these are the ones in the above censuses. Alexander and Catherine were in Prince Edward Island from 1822 to 1829 at least. I have not yet figured out just how they got there from Scotland, or exactly when they came to Ontario.

The Grout family were United Empire Loyalists, and one member of Ancestry.com has traced them back (reliably as far as I’ve verified) to Massachusetts in the 1600’s. They also are discussed a bit in the book “History of the Counties of Argenteuil, Quebec and Prescott, Ontario” by C. Thomas, published in 1896 in Montreal (e.g., on p. 618 there is a reference to Solomon Grout Sr, and a good story about how Lewis’s brother (also called Solomon) once walked to Utah). The book can be downloaded from the Internet Archive in various forms: http://archive.org/details/historyprescott00thomuoft

The Maggie A. Lothian who Peter A. Campbell married was living with her parents in Lochiel (Ontario) in the 1861 census:
8 96 38 John Lothian Farmer Lochiel   Bapt   38 M M              
8 96 39 Margaret Lothian   Lochiel   Bapt   28 F M              
8 96 40 Margaret Lothian   Scot   Bapt   62 F W    
8 96 41 Duncan Lothian L Lochiel   Bapt   8 M                
8 96 42 Christian Lothian   Lochiel   Bapt   5 F                
8 96 43 Margaret Lothian   Lochiel   Bapt   2 F  
This implies that her parents are John and Margaret Lothian. Margaret Lothian Sr.is a possible grandparent, but I have yet to go any further on this branch.

I believe Maggie’s family is listed in the book “The Campbells and Other Glengarry-Stormony and Harrington Pioneers” by R. B. Campbell, published in 1983, on p. 213:

Margaret Campbell b. 1832 Breadalbane, Ontario m. John Lothian b. in Breadalbane Ontario
4 children: Margaret, Duncan, Christy and James

This is pretty convincingly Maggie Lothian’s family.

It seems Maggie’s mother Margaret Lothian was originally a Campbell. Her parents were Peter Campbell, b. 1801 in Killin, Scotland, d. 1883 in Breadalbane, Ontario, and Christy McDiarmid, b. 1801 in Killin, Scotland, d. 1879 in Breadalbane, Ontario.

Peter’s parents were John Campbell, b. 1778 in Killin, Scotland, d. 1848 in Breadalbane, Ontario and Mary McMartin, b. 1777, d. 1842 in Breadalbane, Ontario.

Unfortunately, Peter A. Campbell’s family is not covered in the book by R.B. Campbell.

I have more information than this for anyone interested, supporting the above, but think is an extremely long post already. I can be reached by private message for more information, corrections, discussion or to share new information with me! Also, I have scans of the section of R.B. Campbell’s book covering the Breadalbane Campbells, scans of births and deaths from the family Bible, and a scan of the Peter and Maggie wedding record, and various photos of graves with related names (Campbell, Lothian, McLaurin, McDiarmid, Grout) in the Breadalbane Baptist and Barb Protestant cemeteries in Ontario, which I can share with interested parties. The cemeteries are only about an hour’s drive from where I live, and I might make a couple more trips out there to look at graves at some point, if anyone wants to request for me to look for particular names and such.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
martinhawley1 5 Oct 2011 2:01AM GMT 
rscampbell_1 5 Oct 2011 2:48AM GMT 
cyningdun 13 Sep 2012 4:12AM GMT 
rancheroo2 13 Sep 2012 5:27PM GMT 
cyningdun 15 Sep 2012 3:45AM GMT 
rancheroo2 15 Sep 2012 12:40PM GMT 
cyningdun 19 Sep 2012 1:52AM GMT 
rancheroo2 21 Sep 2012 12:40PM GMT 
rscampbell_1 13 Sep 2012 6:21PM GMT 
rancheroo2 13 Sep 2012 7:16PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions