Search for content in message boards

John Bane Dewar and Roderick Dewar

Replies: 2

John Bane Dewar and Roderick Dewar

Posted: 28 Nov 2012 6:10PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Dewar MacLellan
My 3X great grandfather was Roderick Dewar who settled on Lot 14 Concession 4 in Harrington, Argenteuil, Quebec in the 1830s. Based on census records he was born somewhere in Ontario about 1801 and was married to Agness who was born in Scotland about 1802. They were enumerated in Harrington in 1842 and 1851. They had 8 children including: William, Donald, John and Catherine. I have not found a record of his birth, marriage or death. 

It is possible that my ancestor Roderick's father was John Bane Dewar mentioned on page 15 of “The MacLoers of Galder Glenelg A genealogy study of the Dewar's of Glengarry Ontario” researched and published by Donald Keith Dewar in Thorold, Ontario, as quoted below:

“(A) JOHN BANE DEWAR and his wife Catherine MacLennan (b.1771), came from Glenelg Scotland, on the very first boatload of Highland settlers to Glengarry County, along with 40 other families. They left Greenock in April of 1793, and arrived in Prince Edward Island with a foot of snow on board the ship. They stayed all winter there, and in April of 1794, they finally arrived at their new lots of land, in the north half of the County of Glengarry. John Bane Dewar received 200 acres on lot 29 of Concession 7, just west of the present day "Kirk Hill West Church", in an area first known as Glenelg. Received the deed for this farm n July 7/1828. He died in 1844.
(AA) WILLIAM - may have been the first child, since John Bane sold the west 100 acres to William in 1828.
(AB) RODERICK - appeared to have had a falling out with his father and left the farm. Did not receive any land upon his father's death, but the other brothers had to give him a gift of 50 pounds sterling, his share of the will. May have moved to Lot.07/Con.03 Lochiel, 200 acres, purchased (deed) Feb.12/1850
(AC) Angus (b. 1803)
(AD) Donald John (b. 1804)”

Support for this theory is similarity of their presumed birth years and the likely time period when one Roderick left home and the other settled elsewhere. There is also similarity of family member names (although they were very common names), and the physical and cultural proximity of of Glengarry and Argenteuil Counties. The possibility that John Bane's son Roderick may have bought land in 1850 in Ontario while my ancestor Roderick was enumerated in Argenteuil in 1851 contradicts my theory. 

The author of the “The MacLoers of Galder Glenelg”, Donald Keith Dewar has died and I am unable to find any other information about John Bane and his son Roderick. 

I would appreciate any suggestions that would get me over my “brick wall”.

Thanks,
Barry Peers
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
barrypeers 29 Nov 2012 1:10AM GMT 
dboisselle829 26 Feb 2013 1:00AM GMT 
barrypeers 26 Feb 2013 1:39AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions