Search for content in message boards

Duncan Grant KRRNY

Replies: 38

Re: Duncan Grant KRRNY

Posted: 23 May 2013 8:54PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi Colleen,
Yes, I have the books of the Claims of the UEL Loyalsts and found Peter in there. For while, I wasn't sure if this was "my" Peter. I have found in the victualizing lists Peter Grant with a wife, two boys over 10 yrs and 1 girl under 10 yrs. On my ancestor John Grant's children's land petitions, it mentions that John lived on lot 10 on the Front. John Grant, at the time in 1843, was alive and was about 80 years old according to the land petition. This would indicate that John was born about 1863. Earlier, in this string of posts, I attached the Abstract for lot 10 that shows the land was transferred from the Crown to Peter, Peter to Duncan, and Duncan to John, and John to Peter Jr. I'm not sure where Peter Jr. comes in, maybe born later. There are other land petitions for Peter Grant, the Sergeant. The land board folks were trying to determine how much land Sgt Peter grant had received and they attributed lot 13 to Sgt Peter Grant. He stated that that lot did not belong to him, but a different Peter Grant (ours).

Our Peter was a Private in the KRRNY and he came to America in 1774 according to "The History and Master Roll of The King's Royal Regiment of New York" by Cruikshank and Watt. That record also states that Peter has a wife, two boys over 10 and a girl under 10 and that Peter was born in 1736. I think that I have traced him to when he arrived in America and settled on Sir William's land in the Mohawk Valley, but I wasn't positive that he came from Glenmorriston. According to the book "Gravestones of Glengarry Vol 1" by Alex W. Fraser U.E., the Headstone of Duncan reads "In memory of Duncan Grant, South Branch, Charlottenburgh, a native of Glenmorrison, U.E. Loyalist and Elder of the church of Williamstown who died on the 14th May 1836, aged 71 years. . . . " If Duncan is from Glenmorriston, then I am pretty sure that Peter and John are from Glenmorriston too.

It seems that when you get so far back that you have to use a lot of "deductive reasoning" to fill in the blanks for the lack of records.

Does anyone know Peter's wife's name?

Your Cousin,
Barb
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
cmaryln 27 May 2013 9:55PM GMT 
young1451 27 May 2013 11:47PM GMT 
cmaryln 24 May 2013 1:31AM GMT 
cmaryln 24 May 2013 1:51AM GMT 
bgressel 24 May 2013 2:54AM GMT 
young1451 24 May 2013 12:44PM GMT 
cmaryln 27 May 2013 9:03PM GMT 
cmaryln 28 May 2013 12:00AM GMT 
bgressel 28 May 2013 1:57AM GMT 
bgressel 28 May 2013 1:59AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions