Search for content in message boards

Isabella Dewar Campbell and the Sandfield MacDonalds

Replies: 0

Posted: 24 Aug 2013 8:51AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Dewar, McLeor, Campbell, MacDonald

There already is a long and informative thread started by Lois Campbell back in 2010 about the family of Isabella DeWar. Although the descendants of Isabella and her husband Miles Campbell seems to have been well documented, her ancestry still seems to be unresolved. So I am resurrecting the discussion in hopes of solving the mystery.

I have been researching a family of Dewars who settled on Lot 29 Concession 7 in Lochiel in 1794. Isabella Dewar may have been a member of that family. The family was headed by John Bàn McLeor (Dewar) and his wife was Catherine McLeod. They arrived from Glenelg as part of the McLeod Settlement. The family were called McLeor when they first arrived from Scotland but the name became anglicized to "Dewar".

There is a birth and baptismal record for an Isabel McLeor, at Williamstown in 1810 to John McLeor and Catherine McLeod.
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XLGS-ZQ2

On page 456 of the book, "The Campbells and other Glengarry-Stormont and Harrington Pioneers", the author states: "On October 11, 1838 he (Miles Campbell) was married by proclamation to Isabella Dewar who was born in approximately 1814 in Lochiel. Her family had come with the 1794 MacLeod expedition and she was related, through her mother, to Sanfield MacDonald."

Following the Highland tradition of naming the first daughter after her maternal grandmother, Isabella and Miles' first daughter was named Catherine, presumably after Catherine McLeod.

What is the connection between Isabel Dewar's mother, Catherine McLeod and the Sandfield MacDonalds referred to n the Campbell book? I thought the MacDonalds were Roman Catholics from Knoydart who arrived in 1786 and the McLeods were Presbyterians from Glenelg who came over in 1794.

So is this THE Isabella Dewar who married Miles Campbell or another one?

Barry

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions