Search for content in message boards

William Murray of Glen Falloch Indian Lands Charlottenburg Glengarry

Replies: 2

Re: William Murray of Glen Falloch Indian Lands Charlottenburg Glengarry

Posted: 19 Apr 2014 5:39AM GMT
Classification: Query
Happy Easter Tal and thank you for the lookup . This search is probably going to be like an Easter Egg Hunt . I went to World Connect Rootsweb , entered William Murray and got 17238 hits . Then I went to the Message Boards and typed in William Murray Scotland in the all boards box and got 2451 hits . Pretty large Haystacks .
My Murray grouping seemed to stick mainly to the Indian Lands [where some still are located at Glen Falloch] . They might even be referred to as squatters . My cousin Marland Murray did find a Rent agreement for some two hundred acres of land , which I presume was located at Glen Falloch , but the description of the site is made difficult because there were probably no roads . McNiff's Map 1786 shows the Indian Lands of Glengarry as void of settlers , yet this William Murray settled there in 1775 . His rent agreement was dated St Regis 29th March 1793 , and was signed by four Indian Chiefs , an R. MacDonell and William Gray interpreter and a "hen scratch" I take to be William Murray . Rent was two Dollars [American ?] and three bushels of wheat , each year , forever . It seems that on the 5th of July 1799 William Murray sold part of this land [or maybe part of his leased land] to Hugh McDiarmid .
It was not until 1836 that some 70 other Indian Land settlers [including many other of my Ancestors] made a Land Petition to the Crown dated Glengarry 8th January 1836 and requested Patents for their land , at a sum to be determined "fit" by the Crown .
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
young1451 16 Apr 2014 2:44PM GMT 
talmacdonald1... 18 Apr 2014 9:14PM GMT 
young1451 19 Apr 2014 11:39AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions