Search for content in message boards

Kingsborough Patent , Glengarry Connections

Replies: 13

Kingsborough Patent , Glengarry Connections

Posted: 1 Jul 2014 7:38AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Grant , McDonell , Prentice , Carr , McEwen
Happy CANADA DAY Cousins . A few more clues as I attempt to connect the dots between my ancestors . Peter Grant is on the Kingsborough Patent [KP] Rent Roll with Rent Due Date of Sept 25 1778 . Evidence indicates he arrived in 1774 . He later shared Lot 10 Front Charlottenburg with Kenneth McDonell [who was also on KP list , and who was married to a Jenny Grant] .
Evidence also indicates this Peter Grant's oldest son Duncan Grant arrived 1773 on the Pearl . Duncan would have been about 10 years old and may have come over with other relatives . Though too young to have his own KP land , Duncan did receive part Lot 20 South Branch Road [ west of Roderick Rory McDonell and son John Roy McDonell on W1/2 Lot 19 , and Roderick's brother Donald Bhuoir McDonell on E1/2 Lot 19] .
This Duncan Grant married Henrietta Henny McLennan whose father John McLeland / McLennan was also KP land holder and received part Lot 23 Street Road [across the South Branch Raisin River from his daughter Henny .
Another neighbour was Daniel Prentice Lot 22 South Branch Road [just west of Duncan Grant] and he appears as witness for this Duncan's claim for UE status [which he received] . This same Daniel Prentice is found on KP list as Danl Prentis .
Two more of my ancestors appear on the KP list with Rent Due Date of Sept 25 1778 , but they appear to have arrived 1773 on Ship Britanie which left from Rosshire Scot. but put in at Dublin , where I believe William Carr and his son in law David McEwen boarded with their families . They appear on the KP list as Wm Carr and David McCoun [David's name has at least 5 variations before it settles at McEwen in Canada] . These men shared Lot 3 Front Cornwall Township , where David operated a ferry service on the St Lawrence River .
Other ancestors include the large Captain John Dhu McDonell VI Ardnabie line , who with sons :
Allen Bhuide McDonell
Roderick Rory McDonell
Donald Bhuoir McDonell
Alexander Bane McDonell
John [Ian Mor] McDonell
and John Dhu's brother Ranald McDonell [Ardnabie][bother in law of Allen Collachie McDonell] .
Most settled KP with Rent Due Date Sept 25 1780 ; but Roderick Rory and Alexander Bane settled nearby on the Charlotte River with relative Spanish John McDonell .
These ancestors married into such other local Surnames as Cain , Clark , Christie , Cavanaugh , Gallinger , Kinnear , McCallum , Murray , Russel , Snetsinger , Warner , Young and others until you get to me ; your cousin J.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
young1451 1 Jul 2014 1:38PM GMT 
kd_maclennan 1 Jul 2014 4:14PM GMT 
young1451 1 Jul 2014 5:44PM GMT 
bgressel 9 Jul 2014 3:23AM GMT 
young1451 9 Jul 2014 12:55PM GMT 
bgressel 10 Jul 2014 3:09AM GMT 
young1451 11 Jul 2014 11:32AM GMT 
JLeGarignon 21 Jul 2014 9:14PM GMT 
young1451 22 Jul 2014 11:23AM GMT 
bgressel 23 Jul 2014 12:50PM GMT 
per page