Search for content in message boards

The Quigley's of Quigley's Corners

Replies: 11

Re: The Quigley's of Quigley's Corners

Posted: 3 Feb 2013 4:05PM GMT
Classification: Cemetery
My name is Linda and Patrick (Perry) McDonell is my grandfather. Patrick's mother is Catherine Harriet Quigley. Patrick's father is John Duncan McDonell. John and Catherine homesteaded near Provost, Alberta. John is buried at Sacre Coeur Cemetery near Chauvin, Alberta. (born June 1843 died Feb. 24, 1921). Catherine is buried at the Provost Cemetery(she died Nov. 17, 1927 aged 73 years). This information is obtained from their headstones. Due to the harsh weather at the time of Catherine's death her body could not be transported to Chauvin to be buried with John. I do not know the cause of Catherine's death, I would like to know, but John had a corn on his foot which he was paring off with a knife of some sort, he got an infection in it from the dye in his socks, must have been really bad as he died either on the operating room table or soon after having had his leg amputated. At his wake, Patrick and one of his brothers, decided that their father did not look his best with a missing leg so they saddled up some horses and rode into the hospital in Provost and retrieved the missing limb. This was also in Alberta's cold winter weather! As told to me by my aunt Enid Adele McDonell, nick-named Bonnie. Another story my aunt told me was about Owen Quigley - when he decided to enter local politics, he held a gathering and he went upstairs to his establishment's outdoor balcony to deliver his speech or whatever to the townspeople. Apparently alot of the people did not like what he was telling them as he got a whole bunch of rotten tomatoes thrown at him!
We have pictures of John and Catherine's gravestones and entrances to the cemeteries if anyone would like them, also their family history which is printed in the local Provost History book "Early Furrows". We too, also found that Owen Quigley and Elizabeth Robinson had a son, Charles. At St. Alexander's Church cemetery in Locheil we found a grave. The headstone is engraved "In Memory of Charles Son of Owen Quigley of the Parish of St. Alexander who died on the 21 Sept. 1853 Aged 13 years Requiescat in Pace Erected by his Father". We had to clean the headstone prior to taking pictures but it is readable, so can also get you a copy of that as well. It must be the same Owen Q. that we are all researching.
Thank you so much for everyone's help so far.
Regards Linda
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
John Quigley 9 Jun 2001 12:00PM GMT 
rpmbur1 27 Jan 2003 2:47PM GMT 
IArebmin 19 Feb 2004 3:08AM GMT 
lbrober 2 Feb 2013 6:15AM GMT 
gmccormi 2 Feb 2013 6:10PM GMT 
rhodawestlake... 3 Feb 2013 7:27AM GMT 
rhodawestlake... 3 Feb 2013 9:06PM GMT 
lbrober 3 Feb 2013 11:05PM GMT 
gmccormi 4 Feb 2013 3:45PM GMT 
lbrober 5 Feb 2013 4:55AM GMT