Search for content in message boards

The Clendennings

Replies: 6

The Clendennings

Posted: 28 Jul 2001 7:45PM GMT
Edited: 14 Aug 2002 9:39PM GMT
Surnames: Clendenning, Ferguson, Ross, Munro
I have been researching the Clendenning family for about four years. I must say it has been a challenge all the way. My great grandmother was Christina Munro. Her side of the family was the Munros and the Rosses. Both of these families were well documented back to the early 1700’s. My great grandfathers parents were James Clendenning and Margaret Ferguson. In the 1871 census, James age was 55 ( born abt. 1816) and Margarets age was 44 ( born abt. 1827). His farm is listed as the Lot 31, 9TH
Concession of Charlottenburg, Ontario, Canada. It also lists his children: Andrew 20, Catherine 18, Ellen 16, Mary Ann 12, Peter10, and Margaret 7. I have Andrew and Peter well documented and all their descendants however; I have been able to find out nothing about James Clendenning, Margaret Ferguson or the daughters. This is where I need your help.
1. With his farm being in Charlotterburg, do you think he was ( U.E. L.) ,( O.C. ) or just happened to settle there?
2. In the Census of 1871, his country of birth is listed as Ireland. Where should I go to find out more information about this man?
3. In the Loyalist Sons and Daughters of the American Revolution a James Clendenning with the Butler’s Rangers was listed with a son James however I believe they would have been granted land in the Niagara area. There was also a Walter Clendenning of Gainsborough listed with a son James of Gainsborough, O. C. 16 Dec 1815.
4. Sunday night, I read the story about John ‘ Cariboo’ Cameron. In the story it mentioned Cameron staked a claim on upper Williams Creek but encouraged by the success of Ned Stout’s claim lower in the valley, he staked a claim a half mile below Barker’s shaft with his wife, Richard Rivers, Allan MacDonald James and Charles Clendenning, and Robert Stevenson. It is interesting to note that Mrs. Cameron was the holder of Miner’s License No. 7598, and was probably the only woman in the Cariboo at the time to hold such a document.
5. I also have not been able to find out any information about Margaret Ferguson or the daughters ( Catherine, Mary Ann, Ellen, or Margaret Clendenning).

I have been trying for a long time to find out more about James ( when he came to Canada or the USA, where and when he was born, where and when he died, etc.).
Any help or advice you could give me would be gladly appreciated.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
rlcdmc4953 29 Jul 2001 1:45AM GMT 
SelwynMacdiar... 30 Jul 2001 8:00PM GMT 
Donna 8 Feb 2004 3:21PM GMT 
JohnMaher333 7 Aug 2012 2:13AM GMT 
Katherine O'Neill 23 Apr 2004 9:57PM GMT 
ajsmith1 19 Dec 2001 4:05PM GMT 
Katherine O'Neill 29 Apr 2004 1:10AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic