Search for content in message boards

MacDonald/MacDonnel/McDonald/McDonnell 1845-1851 Scotland to Canada

Replies: 10

Re: MacDonald/MacDonnel/McDonald/McDonnell 1845-1851 Scotland to Canada

Debbie (View posts)
Posted: 27 Mar 2002 7:39AM GMT
Classification: Query
I recently ran across the following:

This is a paragraph from The Scotch Irish in America Voume 2 by Charles Hanna. Page 57.

The heading in the middle of the page says CANADA.

"Not being permitted to remain in the United States after the
termination of the Revolutionary War, the Scotch retainers of Sir John Johnson were granted lands in Canada by the British government. The officers and men of the first battalion settled in a body at Glengarry, Ontario, occupying the first five townships west of the boundry line of Quebec province, being the present townships of Lancaster, Charlottenburgh, Cornwall, Osnabruck, and Williamsburgh. Those of the
second battalion removed farther west to the Bay of Quinte, settling in the counties of Lennox and Prince Edward. They were joined in the month of September, 1786, by five hundred of their kinsfolk from Knoydart who sailed with the Rev. Alexander MacDonald from Greenock, in the ship
MacDonald."

Does anyone have any information on this ship, and/or it's passengers? Or of the Scotch retainers of Sir John Johnson??? Or how to research Crown Grants?

My ancestor is Roderick McDonald who was born in Scotland about 1776. According to the 1851-2 Census of the Township of Charlottenburg in the County of Glengarry, Ontario, Canada the family of Roderick and Jane McDonell was at that time living - Concession 5 lot 12 Indian Lands (Charlottenburg Township). This lot of land is situated to the north and east of the Town of Cornwall. A copy of the Abstract for that lot shows Roderick received part of this lot by Crown Grant in 1853.

I have no information how he got from Scotland to Canada. I am thinking it is a good possibility this new information from the Hanna book will help me.

Does anyone have ANY information that will help me locate more information about these folks?

Thanks, Debbie
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
AlaskaMacGirl 21 Mar 2002 5:44AM GMT 
Paul McDonald 22 Mar 2002 1:36PM GMT 
OsbornReese 22 Mar 2002 2:19PM GMT 
Paul McDonald 22 Mar 2002 2:56PM GMT 
OsbornReese 23 Mar 2002 3:07AM GMT 
Debbie 27 Mar 2002 2:39PM GMT 
Heritage102 25 Apr 2013 8:37AM GMT 
shorts100 26 Apr 2013 1:52PM GMT 
Alan Macdonal... 26 Apr 2013 3:57PM GMT 
bweiler1 24 Mar 2002 6:36PM GMT