Search for content in message boards

Peter Smith/Abigail Muchmore 1790 Glengarry

Replies: 6

Re: Peter Smith/Abigail Muchmore 1790 Glengarry

Gordon Sova (View posts)
Posted: 4 Jun 2002 6:52AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Smith
This is a little sketchy, but it may help.

My GGG grandfather was a Peter Smith who served, we believe, with the King's Royal Yorkers during the American Revolution. His dates are 1753 to 1833. After the war, he received Crown land on what is now called the King's Road not far from Martintown. However, the church was in Williamstown and that is where he was buried and would have been married as well.

I don't have any information on whether he was a blacksmith, though my grandfather had a smithy on his property and the skill may well have been handed down. There is a story that he turned his hand to freelance dentistry, though with what success I can't say.

There is also a Peter Smith Jr. who received land adjacent to Peter Smith a few years later and was presumably his son.

I was looking at my mother's research on the family tree just a few days ago but, unfortunately, didn't make note of the other information you need.

The story of the wife's abduction is probably uncommon enough to have been remembered, but I can't say that I have ever heard it mentioned by anyone in the family.

I am going to apply for my U.E. designation in the near future and I will have to verify my Peter Smith to get it. I will let you know what I can find out.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
BillHayes14 8 May 2002 3:54PM GMT 
Gordon Sova 4 Jun 2002 12:52PM GMT 
kaziegler3 10 May 2013 3:39AM GMT 
BillHayes14 10 May 2013 2:15PM GMT 
jimsova24 23 Aug 2013 3:33AM GMT 
BillHayes14 23 Aug 2013 10:25PM GMT 
kaziegler3 26 Aug 2013 2:56PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions