Search for content in message boards

Baldoon Settlement

Replies: 7

Re: Baldoon Settlement

Posted: 25 Mar 2002 7:46PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 26 Oct 2002 5:43PM GMT
Surnames: McLean
I am a descendant of the McLean family who came to Canada as part of the Baldoon Settlers. Some of the lines of Baldoon have been researched by various descendants. While I have not found any of the names you mentioned in the McLean tree, it does not mean there is no Baldoon connection. The familes that left Scotland as Settlers were: McDonald, McLean, McDougall, McKenzie, Stewart, McPherson, Brown, McCallum, Buchanan and Morrison. The settlement as a settlement was a disaster. In fact many of the arrivals in 1804 died from malaria etc. My ancestor was killed in the war of 1812. As a result, the families left the settlement, and married into the surrounding families of Kent.

I would suggest the you trace back as far as you can on all lines, and then place another query with the oldest Kent lines on this site. I would also search the census, OVS and various Kent libraries (if you have access), and check the museum in Wallaceburg (again if you have access - as some of the preliminary trees for each family were done).

An excellent book was done by Doug McKenzie, "Baldoon" which traces the journey etc. If you ever make a connection to the settlement, UWO's library in London has a copy of Selkirks papers in their historical room.

Keep searching
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
JerryWilson27 6 Jan 2002 4:44PM GMT 
Kent OGS 6 Jan 2002 8:51PM GMT 
anders16 26 Mar 2002 2:46AM GMT 
PeggyDennisSm... 20 Jan 2014 5:24PM GMT 
anders153 3 Aug 2014 2:54AM GMT 
PeggyDennisSm... 4 Aug 2014 3:00PM GMT 
anders153 5 Aug 2014 3:20PM GMT 
anders153 10 Aug 2014 9:01PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic