Search for content in message boards

John MacDonald and Mary McConnel possible parents of Mary MacDonald McLean and Donald MacDonald, Tailor of Baldoon

Replies: 0

John MacDonald and Mary McConnel possible parents of Mary MacDonald McLean and Donald MacDonald, Tailor of Baldoon

Posted: 13 Jul 2012 10:51AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: MacDonald MacLean
John MacDonald and Mary McConnel of Coalis Tiree Scotland
I am a descendant of a Mary MacDonald b. abt 1774 in Tiree Scotland (Source: Passenger List of the Oughton 1804 See, MacDonnell of Collachie Papers MG 24 I 8 Vol. 4 p.107 – age given as 30). Mary married Allan MacLean of Kenovay, Tiree (possibly son of Lachlan MacLean and Catherine McKinnon) Mary and Allan were Baldoon settlers and came to Kent Co., ON in 1804.
I have been trying to find Mary (and Allan’s ancestry). In the census of Tiree for 1776 (List of Inhabitants in the Island of Tiry in 1776 see: http://www.keithdash.net/censuses.html ), and for 1779 (Inhabitants of the Argyll Estate, 1779 again see http://www.keithdash.net/censuses.html ) a family in Coalis/Kelis/Caolis, Tiree fits well with what I know from historical records. This family is John MacDonald b. ca 1736 m. Mary/Henrietta McConnel b. ca 1748-1755

Some clues as to the possible identification of Mary with this family:
1. her age fits well in the census with this family
2. Her mother came with her to Canada – the age listed in the passenger list for Mary/Henrietta MacDonald of Baldoon fits well with Mary McConnel MacDonald of Coalis, Tiree (source: (Source: Passenger List of the Oughton 1804 See, MacDonnell of Collachie Papers MG 24 I 8 Vol. 4 p.107 – age given as 48 (ca. 1755) and in 1779 (source: Inhabitants of the Argyll Estate, 1779 again see http://www.keithdash.net/censuses.html) age given as 32 (ca 1747 note: her age is still 32 3 years before in the 1776 census) are within the range. The age on the passenger list is wrong as she is referred to as old Henrietta McDonald in MacDonnell’s correspondence with the Earl of Selkirk.
3. A Donald MacDonald, Tailor also emigrated to Canada from Tiree as a Baldoon Settler. This Donald was born about 1772 as per Oughton passenger list ((Source: Passenger List of the Oughton 1804 See, MacDonnell of Collachie Papers MG 24 I 8 Vol. 4 p.107 – age given as 32). This also fits well with the 1776 and 1779 Census of Coalis, Tiree – age given as 4 (List of Inhabitants in the Island of Tiry in 1776 see: http://www.keithdash.net/censuses.html) and 6 (Inhabitants of the Argyll Estate, 1779 again see ttp://www.keithdash.net/censuses.html). Some genealogies have him as the son of Dugald MacDonald and Janet McLean of Kenovay, but they do not provide clear proof. Donald MacDoanld may have married a Flora MacDonald of Kenovay, or like Mary MacDonald moved with the spouse from her home to Kenovay. This same Donald MacDonald stood as a witness for Mary MacDonald McLean when her houses were burnt in the War of 1812 by natives working for the British (source: Department of Finance - Upper Canada: War of 1812 Losses Claims RG E5(a) Vol. 3739 File 2 T-1126 Claim No 45 ).
I know tying these families together may be difficult, but the clues seem to point in this direction. Now if it can be proven that Donald MacDonald was truly the son of Dugald MacDonald of Kenovay who did have a son Donald born 1774. Then my theory starts to backfire. Donald MacDonald did live in Kenovay after his marriage to Flora MacDonald. So did my Allan MacLean and his wife Mary MacDonald. Perhaps two siblings married and moved to the same parish on the island. Any help in deciphering these families would be greatly appreciated.

The children for John MacDonald and Mary McConnel are:
1.Marion b. abt 1765
2.Niell b. abt 1767
3. Malcom b. abt 1769
4. Christy b. abt 1771
5. Donald b. abt 1772
6. Mary b. abt 1774
7. John b. abt 1777

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions