Search for content in message boards

Samuel Spencer b. bet 1794-1796 Lincolnshire, England m. 1818 Elizabeth Butterick d/o William Butterick and Elizabeth Jaques

Replies: 0

Samuel Spencer b. bet 1794-1796 Lincolnshire, England m. 1818 Elizabeth Butterick d/o William Butterick and Elizabeth Jaques

Posted: 5 Nov 2013 2:15PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Spencer Butterick
I am a descendant of Samuel Spencer b. abt 1796 in Lincolnshire, England d. 20 Oct. 1886 Howard Tp., Kent, Ontario (Morpeth area). He married Elizabeth Buttrick/Butterick/Butterwick b. abt 1802 Wroot, Lincolnshire, England (I believe the daughter of William Butterick and Elizabeth Jaques - seem to be only Butterick family in Wroot at time). She died 7 Aug 1869. I can trace the family after their marriage in Wroot (including baptisms of first few children) to Canada. But, I have difficulty nailing down Samuel Spencer himself. At the time of his marriage he could not write - marked with an x. Elizabeth was able to sign marriage document. But prior to their marriage I can find only one Samuel Spencer in the area, the one from Owston Ferry baptized in 1794 son of Samuel Spencer and Elizabeth Templeton. However, there was a Samuel Spencer b. ca 1796 living in Butterick, Owston, Lincolnshire at the time of the 1841 census (NOT OUR SAMUEL). This Samuel could well be the son of Samuel and Elizabeth of Owston Ferry. So, my question is this, has anyone descended from our family found any clue to Samuel's identity back in England.
Brian Anderson

Btw - Lincolnshire has a nice website for searching the actual records (like Samuel and Elizabeth marriage from 1818) - just can't copy for free - http://www.lincstothepast.com/home/

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions