Search for content in message boards

Carleton Place Dairy Farm; Oikleman's General Store

Replies: 0

Carleton Place Dairy Farm; Oikleman's General Store

Posted: 14 Feb 2013 11:44AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: CHILCOTT; OIKLEMAN; SIMPSON; WILKE; WILSON
Hi there:

I am taking advantage of the free trial for Valentine's Day weekend and was hoping someone, somewhere could help me and unlock some further information with respect my ancestors who lived in Carleton Place.

I can't seem to locate a single photograph of any one of my ancestors and find it odd considering William Chilcott (my great granduncle) operated and was a business parter at Carleton Place Dairy Farm. His wife was Mary Simpson. He was the only casualty who died November 5, 1939 in a car crash on Old Montreal Road near Rockland. There were three in total involved in the accident (his wife Mary Simpson was one of the injured in the accident). I do have a copy of the news article from the evening edition of the Ottawa Citizen. It seems to be the only article dated November 6, 1939 in circulation, I can't seem to locate any further information about the accident from any other sources.

William's father is Daniel Chilcott, and his sister, Rebecca Chilcott is my great grandmother. Rebecca died too young at age 46 of breast cancer and my granny was only 6 years old. Rebecca wanted so badly to hold my granny for the last time as she died and her family didn't act until it was too late because they had fears my great grandmother would have put the "death grip" on my granny and taken her with her.

Rebecca's first husband was Andrew Wilkie, they married in 1910 at Alwyn-Methodist, on the Quebec side. They stayed married until Andrew's passing. Rebecca's second husband was Alfred Wilson and they married in 1924 in Carleton Place until Rebecca passed in 1933.

They all lived at 204 Lake Avenue West which has been converted into a retirement home for a number of years.

William Chilcott and Mary Simpson had one daughter named Reta Chilcott, she married Moses L. Oikleman. Moses owned Oikleman's store - a general store that carried just about everything. Reta Chilcott would have been my granny's cousin.

My grandmother's name is Gladys Frieda Brown (nee: Wilson).

My grandmother was the only child of Rebecca and Alfred Wilson.

Find a board about a specific topic