Search for content in message boards

Boomhower & Davis families at Richmond in L & A County, Ontario- May 1851

Replies: 13

Boomhower & Davis families at Richmond in L & A County, Ontario- May 1851

Posted: 2 Dec 2008 2:25PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Boomhower, Howard, Davis, Fox, Fralick, Parks, Osborn, Osborne, Windover, Masters, Sedore, Palmateer, York, Graham, Johnson
Would love to correspond with anyone who is a descendent of this Boomhower-Davis line. Isaac Boomhower was indicted for the murder of James Davis in 1851; James was found dead in Lennox and Addington County in May 1851. Isaac was found not guilty.

I have just received a several pages long document where the family members and witnesses testified in the trial of Isaac Boomhower. The young man who was found dead was James Davis, son of William Rensselaer Davis of Richmond in Lennox and Addington County, Ontario and his first wife Sarah Parks.

Jane Davis, wife of Isaac Boomhower who later changed their surname to Howard, was a daughter of William Rensselaer Davis, sister to the deceased James.

The document has been a godsend- sad as it is, because it briefly confirms some of the Davis-Boomhower-Fralick family relationships.

This Davis family is a part of my own extended Davis family of Lennox and Addington County. It has been difficult for me to put the pieces together and I am very sure I do not yet have all of the family members and their spouses, children etc. Thus far I have:

James Davis born about 1781 possibly in Quebec en route from the USA; his wife Esther whose surname I don't know...she was born about 1783. They were alive in 1851 and living in Richmond, L & A County with a grand-daughter Nancy Davis, the daughter of William Rensselaer Davis.

Six children that I believe belong to same James and Esther:

Mary Davis born 1804 in NYS, died 1899 at Napanee, married to Stephen Dodson Fox of New York State (my ancestors); have names of ten children for them

William Rensselaer Davis born abt. May 1806, died Feb. 14, 1879 at Richmond, L & A County, Ontario, Canada, married twice- first wife was Sarah Parks who died in 1848; second wife was Mary Osborne; eight children with Sarah, five more with Mary. The James Davis who was murdered in May 1851 was a son of William R. and first wife Sarah.

Joseph J. Davis 1808-1883, married to Mary Windover; lived and died at Richmond in Lennox and Addington County, Ont., Canada; three known children

Eliza Davis born about 1809-1813, married Daniel Masters, six children, I have no dod for her

Stephen Davis born 1822, died 1903, married to Susannah Sedore, 15 children

James Davis born about 1824, died 1878; married Margaret Palmateer, six children with her; she died between 1858 and 1869, James re-married to Samantha Ann York in October 1869 whose first husband was George Mowers.

I realize there is a huge gap between Eliza and Stephen, so Stephen and James the younger may belong to someone else.

Back to family of William Rensselaer Davis of Richmond, Ontario- the court document has testimonies by various family members and neighbors about what happened when James Davis was killed:

Leonard Davis is mentioned as being married to the accused's sister, and I see from online info she was Elizabeth Boomhower/Howard born in 1827 in Ontario, Canada, died 1896 at Mecosta, Michigan. Leonard was born 1825 in New York and I think he may be another son of James and Esther- if he is not, he is certainly somehow related to these Davis families.

William Fralick is mentioned as being married to one of the deceased's sisters- (the deceased being James Davis) and I have found her to be Sarah Davis born about 1834, still alive in 1910 in Michigan, USA. Her husband William Fralick was born about 1827 at Richmond, Lennox and Addington County, Ontario, the son of Peter Smith Fralick and his wife Elizabeth Johnson.

Stephen Davis is mentioned in the document, I believe he was the deceased's uncle.

Rensselaer Davis, father of deceased James, and Jane and Sarah, also mentioned an unmarried daughter Nancy, who had been living at Isaac Boomhower's house. In 1851 Nancy was listed on the 1851 census (re-created by Russ Waller) at Richmond in home of her grandparents James and Esther Davis. Nancy later married Henry J. Graham and had at least seven children. She died April 30, 1919 at Richmond in Lennox County, Ontario.

Rensselaer Davis also testified that the "accused" was married to the deceased's sister, and that William Fralick was married to another sister. He said the "accused" had been married seven years and had four children.

This is already a long message and I will post another follow-up regarding all the children of William Rensselaer Davis and who they married.

Nora in Alberta

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
NoraMcL 2 Dec 2008 9:25PM GMT 
charlesgordon... 3 Dec 2008 11:31PM GMT 
NoraMcL 4 Dec 2008 1:46AM GMT 
charlesgordon... 5 Dec 2008 10:43PM GMT 
NoraMcL 6 Dec 2008 4:22AM GMT 
charlesgordon... 6 Dec 2008 4:02PM GMT 
NoraMcL 6 Dec 2008 5:18PM GMT 
jjwaugh 7 Dec 2008 2:24AM GMT 
NoraMcL 7 Dec 2008 2:45AM GMT 
jjwaugh 7 Dec 2008 3:33AM GMT