Search for content in message boards

Family of William Tryon killed in 1834 at L & A County, Ontario, Canada

Replies: 18

Family of William Tryon killed in 1834 at L & A County, Ontario, Canada

Posted: 4 Feb 2012 1:47PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Tryon, Brown, Loveless, Babcock, Hillier, Martindale, Vanwinkle, Walker, O'Connell, Foster
I have been working on my Tryon file again now for about a week; I see several people have done much more research than I have, however I have found a few new bits of info that might help people farther down in this particular line. I am not a Tryon desc. that I know of but became interested in this family as I worked on L & A County families for over 11 years now.

When William Tryon was killed in 1834 by a roof collapsing on him (at home of John Brown/Wilton in Lennox and Addington County, Ontario, Canada- John may have been his father in law or a brother in law) he left behind his widow Polly Mary Brown and ten children. I think that I have names of EIGHT of those children, mostly based on "circumstantial evidence" and would appreciate input from anyone who could possibly help me to verify these names. Would love to find the two missing Tryon children as well.

I also found William's widow..Mary Polly. Some people are posting her as being born in 1774 and I have no idea why. I think it was reported at his death in 1834 that William Tryon was about 40 years old which would put his birth at about 1794. It makes sense that his wife was born about 1795-1800 time frame. In the 1851 census she is 49, in 1861 56, and in 1871 60 so she became progressively younger as the decades passed- I have seen this often in my research!

Mary Polly's eldest son John Tryon was supposedly born about 1815, so it makes sense to me that Mary Polly was at least sixteen years old when he was born, if his year of birth is accurate- so in my files I have said she was born about 1795-1800. Her father was John Brown UEL, Reid's Loyalist publication records her as being married to William Tryon.

Mary Polly had re-married sometime before 1851 and I have no date of marriage for her, to Jeremiah Loveless or Lovelace of Camden East, son of Marshall Loveless and Mary AULTHOUSE. Mary Polly died on Feb. 8, 1875 at Camden East and her husband was the informant for her death. Here are the three census's for Mary Polly and her second husband:

1851 census at Camden East in L & A County:

Jeremiah Loveliss Farmer age 35 or 55? birthday in March born at Ernestown
Mary Loveliss age 49 birthday in July born at Nova Scotia
Charity Trion age 18 born at Camden, Upper Canada, birthday in July
Sagir Trion age 20 Laborer born at Camden, Upper Canada; birthday in July

1861 Camden East:

Jerry Lovless age 42 Yeoman born Canada
Polly age 56 born New Brunswick
Charity Tryon born Canada age 24

1871 Census of Canada
Name: Jermiah Loveless
Birth Year: abt 1821
Birth Place: Ontario
Marital Status: Married
Religion: Methodist
Origin: English
Province: Ontario
District: Addington
District Number: 64
Division: 01
Subdistrict: Camden
Subdistrict Number: a
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Jermiah Loveless 50
Mary Loveless 60 (born Nova Scotia)

Note something interesting that is recorded consistently on those 3 census's- Mary Polly was always reported as having been born in Nova Scotia or New Brunswick and that information is verified by other census's where some of her children state their father (William Tryon) was born in Ontario and their mother in (Nova Scotia). As I have found in researching other LOYALIST families, it was common for some of the Loyalist families to have fled the state of New York in the late 1700's and travelled up into either New Brunswick or Nova Scotia and from there made their way through Quebec and eventually into Ontario.

Let's get back to the family of Jeremiah Loveless for a minute- there are more ties to the Tryon family than I know of, I am sure....one of Jeremiah's brothers George Loveless born about 1820 married Anna TRYON, daughter to William and Mary Polly. I will do some more work on her, however, George Loveless died prior to 1869 so Anna re-married to Darius Smith Babcock on Jan. 27, 1869:

Taken from publication "County Marriage Registers of Ontario, Canada, 1858-1869, Volume 16: Frontenac County & Kingston City" compiled & edited by Elizabeth Hancocks, C. G., her page 5:

Babcock, Darius, age 50, living at Bedford, born at Kingston, son of David and Mary, married 27 January 1869 Ann Lovelace age 44 living at Portland, born at Camden, daughter of William and Mary Tryon.

I remember having one heck of a time trying to sort out those Babcock and Loveless families when I first started this years ago. I have never been able to find a death record for Darius Smith Babcock or for Anna nee Tryon. The last place I have them is Sombra, Lambton, Ontario, Canada in 1891. Where did they go after that?

There is so much to all of this and I am trying to remember all the important points as I type...

Another one of Jeremiah and George Loveless's brothers was Marshall Loveless born 1838, died 1900. he was married to a woman named Abigail Foster. Her parents were Joseph and Elizabeth (nee Roblin), the latter born about 1801. It is this Elizabeth who has Sager Tryon and "Malici" Tryon in her home on the 1861 Camden East census with some of her own children. The Tryon kids are 8 and 6, and were the children of Elijah Tryon and a woman whose given names are a bit questionable. She was named as Charlotte ANNIS Martindale but may also be the same woman as Abigail married to Elijah, appearing on the 1851 census at Portland, Ont.:

1851 Portland has:

Elijah TRYON (spelled as Trian) age 26
Abigail age 17 (born about 1834)
Eliza age 1 year
Mariah CARD age 18

I am not 100% convinced however that ANNIS and Abigail were the same woman. I look at 18 year old Mariah Card in their household and wonder if Abigail could be nee Card, and a sister to Mariah. I cannot find Annis in 1861, cannot find her son William Elijah Tryon in 1861, and have no idea what happened to her husband Elijah. Did he die prior to 1861? I have wondered if he is same man who is William Tryon who married a woman named Eleanor Walker- i.e.) are William Tryon son of William senior and Mary Polly and Elijah Tryon also son of William senior and Mary Polly, the same man?

In 1871 Annis is with Simon Warner at Richmond, Ont.; they are married.
Her daughter Calista Ann Tryon age 15 years is in home of Joseph & Elizabeth Foster- Camden East
Her son Sager Tryon age 19 years is in home of John and Rachel Martin at Richmond, Lennox County.
I cannot find her daughter Eliza in 1871 who married Benjamin Shuman in 1879.
I cannot find her son William Elijah in 1871 who married Nancy Mounteney in 1883.

Annis Martindale Tryon Warner died on Dec. 21, 1915 at Kennebec. Her daughter Eliza died age 73 years on April 8, 1927; father Elijah Tryon from Yarker, mother Annis Warner born (England?); informant her husband Benjamin Shewman; burial at Arden, Ont.- more than likely Annis is buried at Kennebec as well?

The William Tryon who married Eleanor Walker had 2 children that I know of born abt. 1859 and 1863- it is conceivable that William is same man as Elijah and his first wife was Annis Martindale. Perhaps they separated?

So including some of the individuals named above here are my "eight" (possibly only seven) children for William Tryon senior and Polly Mary Brown:

John Tryon born about 1815 married to Catherine- anyone have her maiden name? She was supposedly from Ernestown in L & A County. This is the John who was accused of murdering Francis Fisher and was hung in Dec. 1873 at Barrie, Simcoe County. I found 3 children for John and Catherine; have all this info in my files.

Tobias Tryon, is he sometimes recorded as Thomas? born about 1821 at Yarker, died Oct. 13, 1896 at Portland, Ontario; married to Elizabeth Hillier, at least nine children.

Anna Tryon born about 1824, died after 1891, married to George Loveless and Darius Smith Babcock. Five Loveless children that I know of. (that sounds sad...)

Elijah Tryon and Annis Martindale- 4 children.

Nelson Tryon born about 1828 married to Mary Ann Vanwinkle, cannot find a death record for him; lived at Kennebec; nine children.

William Tryon born about 1829 married to Eleanor Walker. Two children with her. He died March 22, 1900 at Olden, Ont.

Sager Tryon born about 1831 married to Ann O'Connell, at least nine children; lived at Artemesia in Grey County, Ont. Both he and Ann died young, abt. 1875 and 1877- I know Ann died of TB, was that same cause of death for Sager? After their deaths their younger children were raised by their eldest son George Wellington Tryon and his wife Janet Catherine McKinnon.

Charity Tryon born 1833-1835; may have been born after her father was killed. She never married and died May 18, 1885 at Portland, Ont.

As I have worked on this Tryon family I have made a file for other Ontario Tryon families. Other people have pointed out there was a Peter Tryon at Portland, Ont. born about 1799; his wife was Mary Helen Lakens and I only have names of 3 children for them. Was Peter a brother to William Tryon of Yarker? And what about a George and Susanna Tryon of Portland? I cannot find them or any info about them but they were named as the parents of 21 year old Mary A. Tryon of Portland when she married John FOSTER of Camden east on Dec. 25, 1873 in L & A County. Mary A. born about 1852, that means her parents born in 1822-1832 time frame or earlier- if George did exist, was he another son to William Tryon and Mary Polly of Yarker? I cannot find this John Foster and wife Mary A. past their marriage date- where did they go? I was hoping to find a death reg. for her in Ontario that might give her mother's maiden name. Can't find Mary A. in 1861 or 1871 either.

Anyway this is a very long message; if anyone has information to add to all of this or any corrections please let me know. I would be happy to share the file I have created, in the notes are all the BMD's and census info for everyone, etc.

Nora

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
NJMcLean 4 Feb 2012 8:47PM GMT 
NJMcLean 5 Feb 2012 5:55AM GMT 
NJMcLean 5 Feb 2012 5:58AM GMT 
Chayes89 1 Mar 2012 5:32PM GMT 
NoraMcL 1 Mar 2012 7:51PM GMT 
Chayes89 1 Mar 2012 8:07PM GMT 
NoraMcL 1 Mar 2012 8:22PM GMT 
Chayes89 7 Mar 2012 8:39PM GMT 
NoraMcL 8 Mar 2012 1:51AM GMT 
Chayes89 8 Mar 2012 2:33PM GMT