Search for content in message boards

Irish Catholics in London and surronding areas

Replies: 31

Re: Irish Catholics in London and surronding areas

Posted: 17 Oct 2008 3:08PM GMT
Classification: Query
I'm always researching the Irish Catholics in London. It's turned from my own family into a general interest of most of the Irish Catholics that were in the area. I think there is more to these families than appears to be readily documented or known. I do what I can to try and uncover some of that over time. There is also my desire and motivation to try and fill in gaps regarding family relations too. I think there are more family connections that I haven't quite figured out yet. So I'm always trying to understand better by researching the families that appear as baptismal sponsors, etc.

It depends on which O'Meara's that you are referring to as to whether they are related to me or not. Probably yes. However, there was another large O'Meara family that moved from Oxford county to London around the 1900 time frame. So far I have not proven they were related to my family. All of the others would be relations.

I see from my files you must be of the Joseph Dwyer & Margaret Edington line? Their son, Thomas, married into the O'Brien family. And this couples neice married into the O'Meara family. Another nephew to the couple married a Dorcey whose mother was a Collisson - also my line.

It is all these interconnections that are of great interest to me. I know my 3rd cousin is interested in the O'Rourke family because they married into her Clifford family. So the connections keep on going.

I've been hitting the church records hard for the last few years and I seem to wind up with more questions than answers as i accumulate information. But I keep hoping something more will come to light at some point in time.

I'm seem to be stuck on a few main points that i can't seem to break free from my own family. An example of such a block is for a Stephen O'Meara born 1832 in Tipperary, Ireland. He is documented as the 7th child of 9 to Patrick o'Meara & Catherine Howe. There is no mention anywhere that I can find as to whom those other 8 siblings might be. I have enough evidence to point to a brother named John (which would be my gr gr grandfather) and have found concrete evidence there was another brother named James (found evidence in Missouri of all places). I have reason to believe there may have been two boys named Hugh & Dennis as brothers, but I can't find the proof. Even if I have gotten this much correctly, I am still missing 4 children, some of which must have been girls.

But alas, I am stuck. Obits have provided nothing on the siblings and people with the O'Meara name that appear in St. Peter's early records have dead ended thus far for me.

So I continue to search other families surronding my own in hopes that some day a new lead will pop up. So my quest continues!
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Cithia_P 3 Oct 2008 7:35PM GMT 
Susan O'Meara 17 Oct 2008 9:08PM GMT 
Cithia_P 18 Oct 2008 7:08PM GMT 
Susan O'Meara 19 Oct 2008 4:09PM GMT 
Susan O'Meara 12 Jul 2009 11:35PM GMT 
Cithia_P 13 Jul 2009 1:20AM GMT 
Susan O'Meara 13 Jul 2009 1:58PM GMT 
mnugent139 25 Jan 2012 8:53PM GMT 
Susan O'Meara 18 Apr 2012 12:32AM GMT 
Cithia_P 1 Apr 2012 4:13PM GMT 
per page