Search for content in message boards

missing information

Replies: 14

Re: missing information

Posted: 19 Jul 2012 4:20PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Bonser, Ethelda
Ethelda was my great grandmother and was still alive when I was very little. She married George W. Williams and they lived in Elgin County from shortly after their marriage until their death. Below is the information I have on Ethelda.

Marriage: Thomas Bonser and Permelia Whitehead of Windham -September 14, 1840 - Rev. Smith. Witness William Bonser and Thomas Nobly.

I believe that Thomas was born about 1822 and died abt 1892. With the dozen or so spellings of the surname I have not yet located his death record. Permelia Frances or Frances Permelia Whitehead-Bonser was born about 1826 and died after 1881

Thomas Bonser appeared on the 1851 census in Townsend Township, Norfolk County, Ontario at age 30, labourer. In the home were his wife Permelia, 26, son John, 12; James 10; Ann 8; Mary, 6; Sarah, 3; and Dorothy, 2.

In 1861 in the home are Thomas, age 47, his wife, Parmelia age 44; son James 18; Mary Ann 15; D 11; George 4; Ann 17 and Sarah 13. Surname was spelled Bonsar in 1861. Thomas was 47 and was born in England.

In 1871 the family is difficult to find as they have spelled the surname Bouser. Thomas, age 56, born in England, Baptist, a farmer is living in Middleton, Norfolk North with his wife Permelia 53, born Ontario and their children James 26; Anne E. 24; Dorothy 20 and George 13.

In 1874 the Ontario, Canada voters List records Thomas Bonser on Concession 12 of Walsingham with his polling place being Winter's School House. In the same list for 1886 and 1888 he is listed on the same concession.

In 1881 the transcription has been made as Honser. The record is very faint and difficult to read. Thomas is then 66 and Frances P is 63. In the home are Ann E. 26; George 22; Dorothy P. 30; Ethilda 12 and Charles 11.

Ann Elizabeth Bonser: Oct 15, 1844-Dec 18, 1918
In 1851 Ann is living with her parents in Walshingham. In the 1861 Census Ann, aged 17, a labourer is living with her parents and siblings in Walsingham.

In the 1911 Census of Tillsonbur, Oxford County, Ann Bonser, born Oct 1842, single is living with her sister Dorothy Misener

Death Record: Yormouth-Elgin County Ann Elizabeth Bonser died Dec 18, 1918, born 1856. (This date does not fit with the age and date of death - more likely 1844, which is consistent with other records. She was 74 years 2 mths and 3 days when she died. She was single at the time of her death. Her father was Thomas Bonser and her mother was Permaelia (Permelia) Whitehead. Cause of death was the result of a brain hemorrhage and she died immediately. She had been previously ill for about 1 week. The physician was Dr. Beattie from Belmont.

Ethelda Ann Bonser
Ethelda Bonser Williams was a rather petite woman, who I only slightly remember as a child. She died when I was about four years of age. She and her husband, George Williams came to Elgin County shortly after their marriage and remained here until their death.

Grandmother Laura never said a great deal about her parents, but when she did speak of her mother and father it was with great fondness. When Ethelda died it was Christmas morning and grandmother Laura never let the family know until the next day, as she did not wish to spoil the Christmas celebrations of the children and their parents. Ethelda is buried with her husband in the Mapleton Cemetery in the very tiny community of Mapleton, Ontario in Elgin County.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
ELLinSpain 31 Jan 2011 9:44PM GMT 
ELLinSpain 31 Jan 2011 9:49PM GMT 
Robert_Mutrie 4 Feb 2011 3:15PM GMT 
CARTWRIGHT 19 Jul 2012 10:20PM GMT 
ELLinSpain 31 Jan 2011 10:00PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions