Search for content in message boards

Thomas Hall Johnston

Replies: 14

Re: Thomas Hall Johnston

Posted: 21 Aug 2009 8:52PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Johnson, Johnston, Johnstone
Thank you very much. Yes, most all of these are mine.

The link between the Johnstons born in Ireland and the Johnsons from Vermont appears to be Thomas Johns(t)on as he shows up on Francis' farm in the land Assessment Roll of 1833. If this indeed kin and the son of Chauncy Johnson and Hannah as this marriage notice suggests then perhaps someway or other they are all related.

6561-74 (Ontario Co): Thomas Hall JOHNSTON, 63, widower, assistant commissioner illegible, Hawkesbury - Prescott Co., Toronto, s/o Chauncey & Emma, married Bethial HAM, 40, England, Whitby, d/o James T. & Henrietta BYRNE, witn: James BYRNE of Whitby & Thomas E. JOHNSTON f Toronto, 18 May 1874 at not given [reg in Whitby ]

I must say that this 3rd marriage announcement took me by surprise with Thomas' parents being listed so clearly, assuming that they are the Chauncey Johnson and his wife Hannah from Vermont.

Yes, Chauncey Johnson was a Justice of the Peace.

I was sent the following:

Children of Thomas Hall and Hannah Fairchild are:

i. Hannah Hall, born 24 Aug 1785 in Prescott, Ontario, Canada; died 24 Sep 1864 in Prescott, Ontario,

Canada; married Chauncey Johnson 1809 in Prescott, Ontario, Canada; born 24 Aug 1782 in New

Hampshire; died 29 Aug 1861 in Prescott, Ontario, Canada.

This explains where Thomas' middle name Hall came from.

Then there is this:

The 1851 census also lists a Julia Johnson [sic], daughter of Col. Guy Johnson, living in Hawesbury which is where Thomas H. Johns(t)on also lives. Here's a link to the colonel:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guy_Johnson

Notice that he is from Co. Meath which is where 2 of my Dad's cousins had vague oral family history of our Johnstons being from. I suspect that all of these people are tied in together somehow or other. I have found our surname consistantly miss-spelled in government documents. My family spelled it "Johnstone" in the mid to late 1800's letters; however, documents have it as "Johnson", "Johnstone", and "Johnston". By the early 1900's we appear to have settled on "Johnston" in Canada. Now we just have to sort through all of these Johns(t)on/es and find a male descendant of Thomas to take a Y-DNA test :-)

This is a real tangled mass of Johns(t)ons to sort through...

I really appreciate your help :-)

Cliff.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Cliff43Johnst... 22 Aug 2009 2:52AM GMT 
Cliff43Johnst... 31 Jan 2012 7:59PM GMT 
Cliff43Johnst... 14 Sep 2012 7:56PM GMT 
Cliff43Johnst... 18 Dec 2012 4:04AM GMT 
peterbes 11 Apr 2013 6:07PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions