Search for content in message boards

marriage record - Hugh McMillan and Eliza Thompson

Replies: 0

marriage record - Hugh McMillan and Eliza Thompson

Posted: 10 Feb 2013 9:18PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 11 Feb 2013 10:06AM GMT
Surnames: McMillan Thompson
I was wondering if some one could look into the marriage record for the subject individuals who were my g-grandparents on my mother's side.
We have looked for quite awhile and so far haven't found anything. What I know about them is sketchy except the McMillan's were from the Hawkesbury, Lochiel, Longueuil area primarily based on census records, and records of their children's marriages, births, etc. However, they did move around a bit. As far east as we've found records of them was Finch and Crysler in Stormont Co. in 1881-1882. We know virtually nothing about Eliza Thompson's family, which is what we are ultimately trying to undiscover. There is genealogy that I received through correspondence with McMillan descendents of the same family, but there is little information on Hugh McMillan.

We assume Hugh and Eliza were married around 1886 in the area where the McMillan's primarily lived (Prescott and Glengarry) but we are not certain. A brief chronology of where Hugh and Eliza were around the time of their marriage is as follows (dates and names vary significantly from record to record):

1. abt 1866: Hugh (Ewen) John McMillan: b. abt 1866 in Ontario to John McMillan and Mary Ann White.
2. abt 1868: Eliza Thompson b. abt 1868 in Ontario (nothing else known about her family).
3. 1871 census: John (42) and Mary Ann (34) McMillan, Hugh, et.al. living in Lochiel.
4. 1875 marriage: Catherine McMillan (d/o John and Mary Ann McMillan) to Louis Brown, Hawkesbury; witn: Ewen (Hugh) McMillan.
5. 1881 census: John (58) and Maryann (44), Ewen (14), et.al. in Finch, Stormont, Ont.
6. 1882 marriage: Elmira McMillan (d/o John and Mary Ann McMillan) to William Brown, Crysler, Stormont, Ont.; witn: Hugh McMillan.
7. abt 1886 marriage: maybe circa Jul 1886 in Hawkesbury or Lochiel, Ont.?????? A big guess.
8. 1887 birth: John R. McMillan to Hugh and Eliza McMillan, Montreal, Canada (ref: USA military and naturalization records)
9. Sept 1888 birth: Catherine McMillan to Hugh and Eliza McMillan, Prescott, Ont. (first name not given in Ontario birth record)
10. abt 1894 birth: Wilfred L. McMillan to Hugh and Eliza McMillan, Hawkesbury, Ont. (USA military record).
11. 1891 census: 'Huci'/Hugh (27) and Eliza (22) McMillan, and children, Longueuil, Ont., w/ John (66) and Mary A. (56) McMillan.
12. abt. 1897: Hugh and Eliza and family immigrated to North Dakota, USA.
Note: Eliza died in 1906 in Devils Lake, ND. Hugh McMillan married several times and eventually returned to Canada where he disappeared.

Any tidbits of information you might be able to provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Dan Harvey
Snohomish, Washington

P.S. there is some indication that Eliza Thompson may have been Catholic, and that her middle name might have been Lavinia/Levinia or a variation.

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions