Search for content in message boards

Catherine Ferguson Crippen b. 1818? Or earlier?

Replies: 0

Catherine Ferguson Crippen b. 1818? Or earlier?

Posted: 5 May 2012 7:21PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 5 May 2012 7:22PM GMT
Surnames: Ferguson, Crippen, Cole
Does anyone know what the evidence is for the often listed birth year of 1818 for Catherine Ferguson, daughter of Farrington Ferguson and Elizabeth Cole? Or why she is often left off of lists of Farrington's children?

I'm asking because my ggggrandmother Eleanor Crippen Mowerson was a daughter of Catherine and Ashbel Crippen. Eleanor was born in 1818, so it seems very odd that her mother Catherine is thought to have been born that same year.

I recently obtained a copy of Catherine Ferguson Crippen's Land Grant request (written in 1833, granted in 1837), and Richard Ferguson, yeoman, testified that she was indeed a daughter of Farrington Ferguson.

There is one clue I've found as to Catherine's birth year. The 1861 census of Athol shows a Cath. Grippen (age 73) with Elizabeth Ferguson (age 93) and Daniel Ferguson (age 56) in the home of Reuben Reynolds. Ashabel Cripin (age 75) is in the household of John and Audrey Goldsmith. If this is Catherine, Elizabeth's daughter, then she was born in about 1788, not 1818.

If she was born and married earlier than 1818, then why did she wait so long to request land? Can anyone shed some light on these discrepancies for me, or point me to a resource that might confirm Catherine's birth year?

Thanks!

Vanessa H.

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions