Search for content in message boards

VAN VLACK FAMILY

Replies: 1

VAN VLACK FAMILY

Posted: 13 Sep 2013 1:21PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Van Vlack, Houck, Tobey, Cameron, Speight, Wilds, Goodenow
It has been quite awhile since I have posted. I'm hoping for some information regarding John A. Van Vlack born 1801 New York. John A. Van Vlack immigrated to Canada and settled in Whitby, Reach Township, Ontario, Canada in approximately 1835. (I found him in the 1830 Census in Rose, Wayne County, New York State) My intrepretation of census is: John - His wife - three daughters and two sons. When John A. Van Vlack arrived in Canada it was with his wife and children. (children James Elias VV, John Barrett VV, Elizabeth VV (Speight), MaryAnne VV (Wilds) and I believe (Johan Mary Van Vlack have seen no other information on her expect in the 1851 census living with a George Houck). I believe John A. Van Vlack came to Canada with his wife and small children due to an obit of his daughter MaryAnne Van Vlack Wilds that stated she had come to Canada as a small child with her parents.

Next piece of information I have is that there was a notice in the New York Times about selling a property in Rose, Wayne County, N.Y. dated 1835 and that John A. Van Vlack whom the notice was to was a resident of Upper Canada.
I also found an old newspaper article (Kingston, Ontario, Canada) giving notice to someone by John A. Van Vlack regarding money owed. John A was noted as a Bailiff.

Next piece of information is a marriage to a Madelene Houck 18 Feb. 1839. John A. Van Vlack and his 2nd wife Madelena had three children; Madelena Van Vlack (Cameron), Clara Jane Van Vlack (Tobey) and Darwin Lewis Van Vlack married Mary Sykes. I assume John A. Van Vlack's first wife (name unknown but suspected as Elizabeth Barrett) would have died between 1835 and 1839. Madelene Houck had a brother George Houck who married a Charlotte Pratt. In the 1851 Census also same area as John A. Van Vlack he was living with a Sophia Pratt in her 60's as well as a JOHAN MARY VAN VLACK (spelt van vleck). George Houck and Lewis Houck were witness at John A. Van Vlack's marriage. George Houck and John A. Van Vlack belonged to the Masons.

No other information since this has been found on John A. Van Vlack. Most of John A. Van Vlack's children were married shortly after the 1851 census or just prior. I'm assuming that John A. Van Vlack would have died 1853 as there is no mention of him in the 1861 census. His children were living with older siblings. His wife in 1861 was living with her son Darwin Lewis Van Vlack in the home of her other daughter Clara Jane Van Vlack Tobey in Collingwood, Ontario, Canada.

My perplexing delima is that the Henry Van Vlack who married a Catherine Palen lived originally in Marysburg. I have a Land Petition given to Henry Van Vlack dated in Frontenac 9th August 1849. It states that Henry Van Vlack was given 100 acres due to him serving in the Company of Frontenac Militia in 1812. The land peititon was granted through the affidavit of a David Robbin.

What I find very interesting is that the names of this Henry's children (on down the line) are very similar to the names of my John A. Van Vlack. First son James Elias Van VLack is my gg grandfather and his first born was named John Henry Van Vlack.

I would love to connect my line of John A. Van Vlack with Henry Van Vlack/Catherine Palen's line.

Any information that anyone has would be so very much appreciated. Please contact me if you require anymore information, I would be more then willing to share.

Thanking you in advance for any help anyone can offer.

Sandra Van Vlack
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
femfital175 13 Sep 2013 7:21PM GMT 
Arlene Harten 29 Dec 2013 8:35AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions