Search for content in message boards

Henry T. Thorp & Amanda Canniff - Storekeeper, Picton

Replies: 5

Re: Henry T. Thorp & Amanda Canniff - Storekeeper, Picton

Posted: 2 Aug 2012 11:37AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi Dave, I see that this is a old request and you may now have all the information that you are looking for. However, I do have information on Henry Ingersoll Thorp(e) that goes back to his father and mother who were both born in New York State. At that time their name was spelled Thorpe. His wife was Amanda E. Canniff. I also have information on the Ingersolls going back to the US. You probably know they were all United Empire Loyalists.

I am not related to him but I became interested in him when I bought his house in Picton a couple of years ago. During the time he lived here (1860-1869) he was, or became, the High Sheriff of Prince Edward County. He died at the age of 46 in 1869. I know the transition from shopkeeper to Sheriff sounds a bit odd, but it may be because his brother-in-law was Walter Ross, who was a very successful business man and financier. Walter Ross was also the Mayor of Picton 4 times, the representative for the Upper Canada Assembly and then the member of parliament upon Confederation.

Your great grandmother Annie would have lived in my house from 1860 to 1871, along with her siblings William Canniff Thorp and Walter Ross Thorp.

Henry bought the newly subdivided lot in 1860, so I can't be sure how quickly the house was built. It does show up on an 1863 map of Picton.

I hope this is of interest to you and please let me know if I can share any more of the other genealogy on this family that I gathered in my research.

Bryan
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
@@dhunter@isn... 30 Jan 2000 12:00PM GMT 
ljveen 14 May 2001 12:00PM GMT 
bryanroby27 2 Aug 2012 5:37PM GMT 
ibarker 30 Jul 2013 10:52PM GMT 
bryanroby27 31 Jul 2013 2:26PM GMT 
ibarker 2 Aug 2013 3:48AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions