Search for content in message boards

Ameliasburgh Sniders

Replies: 10

Re: Ameliasburgh Sniders

Posted: 10 Sep 2012 9:15PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 10 Sep 2012 9:15PM GMT
Surnames: Snider, Wanamaker, Stoneburgh, Way, Mines, Huyck, Ainsworth, Quackenbush, Smith, Hough (Huff).
Andrew`s parents were William B. Snider and Esther Wanamaker. Andrew married Elizabeth `Betsy` or `Betty` Stoneburgh.

Andrew had brothers John Snider (married Phila Jane Knapp); Henry Snider (married Aletta Jane Way); George Snider (married Mary Mines); Levi Snider (married Maria Huyck); Peter Snider; Clarissa Snider (married Eli Ainsworth); Mary Jane Snider (m1 to Louis Quackenbush, then m2 to Gresham Smith); and finally Deborah Snider (married Emory Hough "or Huff").

William B. Snider was the son of John Snider who married Jannetje Quackenbush in 1792 in Rockland County, New York.

This John Snider was not UEL. None of his sons or daughters ever received land as UELs or even petitioned for land as UELs. He was admitted as a person of good character in a petition filed in 1789 as a settler.

John Snider was in Adolphustown Township from 1797 to 1809. He then disappeared for a time before showing up in Ameliasburgh Twp. He died in Ameliasburgh sometime around 1824. His lands were located near the small community of present day Fenwood Gardens along Highway 62 (formerly Hwy 14) on the way from Belleville to Picton. John and the older members of the family are likely buried in the Massasasaga (Simonds/Snider) Cemetery.

C. Loral R. Wanamaker and his wife Margaret Parliament completed a transcription of all Prince Edward County Cemeteries sometime around 1966. They did not capture John Snider and his wife Jannetje Quackenbush among the stones they transcribed from this cemetery. Possibly because the old part of the cemetery may have been paved over by the building of then Hwy 14.

It was perfectly legal to bury family members on the family farm. It was not until 1869 that Ontario finally passed a Cemeteries Act that required people to bury their deceased family in a cemetery. It was not until 1880 that the province began to enforce the Cemeteries Act.

I might be able to dig up more info as I continue my research. I can be emailed directly at ogemahwajewon@hotmail.com for further info.

Dennis
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Wisknou 11 Sep 2012 3:15AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions