Search for content in message boards

Photograph of Donald Watt the younger of Horton Twp

Replies: 3

Re: Photograph of Donald Watt the younger of Horton Twp

Posted: 11 Apr 2013 8:07AM GMT
Classification: Query
I corresponded a few years ago with the wife of one of your Gordon cousins. As both are still living (and hopefully for many years) I won't mention names on the board, but she also told me that she could not get her husband's aunts to discuss the issue.
It is amazing the lengths to which people would go to avoid the issue of illegitimacy. Although Sam's birth was registered at the time as Samuel Watt Jeffrey, it seems that when he needed proof of his age many years later he did not ask the Department of Vital Statistics to search the records under that name. Instead, On April 2, 1934 his aunt, Margaret (Jeffrey) Olmstead declared before a Notary Public at Benito, Manitoba that Samuel Gordon was born in Ross Twp. on January 10, 1871, that the father was Hugh Gordon and the mother was Mary Jeffrey, and that she was present when the child was delivered by Mrs Gilbert Edmunds.
Of course it is always possible that he knew of the earlier registration, but that it was not acceptable for whatever purpose he needed it because the name did not match the name by which he was then known. I expect that his adoption by Hugh Gordon was a de facto adoption and that there was no documentary evidence to support the change of name from Samuel Watt Jeffrey to Samuel J. Gordon. Since by 1934 both Hugh and Mary had already died, this little white lie may have been seen as the only way to resolve the matter.

Don
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
don42mcl 7 Jan 2013 8:06PM GMT 
douglasgordon... 4 Apr 2013 8:01PM GMT 
don42mcl 11 Apr 2013 2:07PM GMT 
douglasgordon... 15 Apr 2013 1:51AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions