Search for content in message boards

Lost Coniston cemetery

Replies: 9

Re: Lost Coniston cemetery

Posted: 1 Aug 2012 12:43PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 2 Aug 2012 6:02AM GMT
Surnames: Chmara
Even if your ancestor's name is not on the plaque, it doesn't necessarily meant s/he was not buried there. The memorial stone is not comprehensive - the inscriptions reflect only the names that could be found, not everyone ever interred in the cemetery. My aunt, Olga Chmara, was buried there (two separate archival documents name the Coniston cemetery) but her name is not on the marker.

I asked the municipal department in charge of cemeteries what could be done to remedy the overisight. There is no possibility of getting her name added to the bronze plaque, however, I was told that because of the vandalism on the stone, the maker was expected to take the stone back to the studio to repair the damage, at which point my aunt's name could be inscribed on the granite. I did make the request, but it's not clear when the stone would be repaired.

My suggestion would be to dig up death certificates, hospital death and church funeral records, which will be most likely to indicate place of burial.

If you can find proof there that your family member was interred but has been left off the plaque, it's still possible to have the name inscribed in the granite.

Our family left a memorial of our own there (see attached). I hope it has survived the vandals and the elements. For now, it's all we have.
Attachments:
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Jim 12 Jun 2004 8:38PM GMT 
minimesue 2 Jan 2005 4:53PM GMT 
pletsch 21 Aug 2009 9:23PM GMT 
Allan Leclerc 22 Aug 2009 4:48PM GMT 
thelats1 18 Feb 2010 3:47AM GMT 
Sandra Chmara 1 Aug 2012 6:43PM GMT 
Halfergson 1 Aug 2012 8:42PM GMT 
Alan Gorman 29 May 2014 1:48AM GMT 
Alan Gorman 29 May 2014 1:53AM GMT 
Alan Gorman 30 May 2014 12:43AM GMT