Search for content in message boards

Robert Smyth, Mayor of Lindsay

Replies: 2

Re: Robert Smyth, Mayor of Lindsay

Posted: 3 Jul 2013 6:52PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Smyth, Smythe, Trew, Gordon, Tully, Webster
Hello and thank you for the information about Frederick Callison Smythe's family. I had heard that he had died in a shipwreck but hadn't any idea when or how.

I'm the great-grandson of Robert Smyth's younger brother, James Cooper Smyth (1852-1921) and Elizabeth Jane Webster (1858-1941).

I have attached a photo of the Smyth brothers and their wives, although one brother, John (1847-1910), is missing. He moved to Western Canada where he was a teacher in Manitoba, British Columbia and the Northwest Territories but died at Seattle, Washington shortly after moving his family there. John married Jane Powers (1857-1933) and had 6 children.

There were at least three sisters who stayed in Ontario, although Sarah ((1837-1893) passed away before this picture was taken. She married John Quinn (or "Quin") and had 11 children. Frances (1839-1930), married late in life, after her mother died, to William Turner but had no children. Mary Jane Smyth (1843-?) was unmarried and living with her widowed mother in the 1891 census but I haven't been able to locate her afterwards.

The five brothers are Robert Smyth (center), Matthew Smyth (1848-?) and William Smith (1848-1910) were twins. Both seem to have stuck with the "Smith" spelling although Matthew switched to Smyth later in life. William was known as a tough as nails teacher and eventually became Principal of the school in Peterborough. Matthew was a farmer, but moved to Wilkensburg, Pennsylvania where he worked as a stock broker although he returned to Ontario around 1905.

Jonathan (1851-1929) seated on the left, was a lifetime farmer in the area of Peterborough.

J.C. is James Cooper Smyth (1852-1921) who was also a school teacher and worked under his brother William in Peterborough, moved to Manitoba for a short time but found it not to his liking and returned to Ontario where he became the Principal of the local school at Mount Pleasant, Brant County, Ontario.

The women are as follows: Julia (1860-1936) is the second wife of Robert Smyth. Her parents were Rev. Vincent Booth Howard (1814-1879) and Sophia Matilda Arnold (granddaughter of Benedict Arnold) (1816-1896).

Anne (on the right), was Anne Tully (1854-). She married William Smith and they had 10 children.

Agnes (between William and Julia) was Agnes Trew (1854-), who married Matthew Smyth and they had 7 children.

Mary (on the right between Matt & Eliza), was Mary Jane Trew (1854-1925), who married Jonathan Smyth and they had 7 children. Mary Jane and Agnes Trew were sisters and first cousins to Mary Trew who was Robert Smyth's first wife. Their parents were Hugh Trew (1828-1898) and Mary Anne Gordon (1837-1917). Hugh Trew and William Trew were brothers. I believe that they were sons of David Trew and Elizabeth Vint.

The woman facing directly into the camera with "Mother" along the bottom of her dress was Eliza Jane Webster (1858-1941) who married James Cooper Smyth. They had 6 children.

The young women in the front were children of the couples pictured. "Etta" was Ettie Hottan Smith (William & Anne's daughter), and "Ruth" (holding the puppy) was Ruth Smyth (Matthew & Agnes' daughter). Ruth eventually married a "Mr Ruth" and became "Mrs Ruth Ruth."

The boy in the center that Robert Smyth is resting his hand on the shoulder of, is either William Maitland Smith or Robert Charles Goldwin Smith. I believe it may be Robert as he seems to have been called "Tully" which was his mother's maiden name. Unsure where the "Eilza" comes in, but obviously she is not Eliza Jane Webster as she was approaching 50 when this picture was taken and the young woman is youthful.

Once again, many thanks for helping fill in some gaps in the family tree. I had never seen any pictures of Mary Trew (Robert's wife) or any pictures of his sons. The only photo of him I had seen previously was this one with an older Robert, probably after having served as Mayor of Lindsay.

This picture was likely taken around 1900 as Ruth Smyth was born in 1893. Perhaps it was taken at the time of the wedding of Robert Smyth and Julia Howard as they were wed on 5 May 1898 at Lindsay. I'm pretty sure that the house in the background is Robert's.
Attachments:
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
chrisbradshaw... 17 Jan 2009 7:40AM GMT 
afritzs 1 Jul 2013 2:30AM GMT 
chrisbradshaw... 4 Jul 2013 12:52AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions