Search for content in message boards

Robert Smyth, Mayor of Lindsay

Replies: 2

Re: Robert Smyth, Mayor of Lindsay

Posted: 30 Jun 2013 8:30PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 30 Jun 2013 8:32PM GMT
Surnames: Smyth, Smythe, Trew, Callison, McNamara, Trumble, Beaton, Gudelman
Robert's youngest son, Frederick Callison Smyth, was my great grandfather. I've attached a photo of Robert Smyth and his wife, Mary Jane Trew, with their four sons.

Here is more information about Robert's first wife:
Mary Jane Trew b: 17 Mar 1848, Hope Township, Durham, Ontario, Canada d: 22 Apr 1897, Victoria, Ontario, Canada
Her parents were William Trew b: 1812, Market Hill, County Armagh, Ireland d: 18 Aug 1879, Lindsay, Ontario and Mary Callison b: 1815, Market Hill, County Armagh, Ireland d: 9 May 1872, Hope Township, Ontario, Canada

Robert and Mary Jane's youngest son, Frederick Callison Smyth changed the spelling of his last name to Smythe (pronounced with the long i) when he married Theresa Ursula "Tessie" McNamara. Teresse Smythe, their oldest daughter recounted later that she thought he changed the name because his family was upset that he married an Irish Catholic.

Fred was a textile merchant and the family lived primarily in Halifax, Nova Scotia and St. John's, Newfoundland. Tessie would return to her family home in Quebec to give birth to their daughters. Fred died in the ship wreck of the S.S. Florizel. He was going from St. John's, Newfoundland to New York for business, and was planning to go on to Lindsay, Ontario to settle some family matters following his father's death four months earlier.

Here is the information that I have about Frederick Callison Smythe and his family:
b: 14 Feb 1873 Ontario, Canada
Married: 28 Oct 1902, St. Patrick's Church, Quebec City, Quebec, Canada
Theresa Ursula "Tessie" McNAMARA b: 29 Nov 1876, Quebec City, Saint-Pierre, Quebec, Canada d:7 Sep 1951, Los Angeles, California, United States (parents: Charles McNAMARA and Mary TRUMBLE)
d: 23 Feb 1928, at sea at Horn Head Reef, Cappahayden, Newfounland, Canada aboard the wreck of the S.S. Florizel
buried: St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada

Fred and Tessie had four daughters.
1. Marie Teresse Smythe b: 9 Nov 1903, Quebec City, Quebec, Canada d: 24 Mar 1997, Santa Barbara, California, United States (never married)

2. Beatrice Helen Smythe, b: 8 Aug 1905, Quebec City, Quebec, Canada d: 17 Mar 1965, Los Angeles, California, United States
Married to William J. Beaton b: 26 Sep 1905, Ohio, United States d: 4 Oct 1985, Los Angeles, California, United States
Bea and Bill had 5 children, 4 of whom are still living.

3. Margaret Ursula Smythe, b: 3 Aug 1907, Quebec City, Quebec, Canada d: 13 Mar 1987, Palm Desert, California, United States
Married: 21 May 1932 Arthur William Gudelman b: 15 Oct 1907, Quincy, Illinois, United States d: 1 Sep 1988 Santa Barbara, California, United States
Ursula and Art had 2 children, one of whom is still living.

4. Madeline Mary Smythe b: 15 Sep 1909, Canada d: 14 Jan 1949, Los Angeles, California, United States (never married)

I was so excited to see your post because we didn't have any information about Robert Smyth's parents or grandparents. This is very helpful information.

I remember stories that great Aunt Teesee (Marie Teresse Smythe) told me about her memories of going to visit her grandfather Robert SMYTH in Lindsay, Ontario. She could remember walking through Lindsay with him, and he would point out improvements that happened when he was mayor, like the gas street lamps.
Attachments:
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
chrisbradshaw... 17 Jan 2009 7:40AM GMT 
afritzs 1 Jul 2013 2:30AM GMT 
chrisbradshaw... 4 Jul 2013 12:52AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic