Search for content in message boards

Lakeview Cemetery, Thorold Look-up

Replies: 4

Re: Lakeview Cemetery, Thorold Look-up

Sharon (View posts)
Posted: 29 Nov 2004 6:23PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hello Mae,

I found this information for you at the Welland Library today. In the transcription for the Lakeview Cemetery (old section) there were only 3 Willson burials. There was no Hugh or Elizabeth Willson but there was a son of theirs. The transcription reads as follows:

In memory of
John Franklin
son of Hugh (P or R) and
Elizabeth WILLSON
born May 21, 1845,
died Nov. 16, 1846

There was a verse on the stone but the transcribers could not make out all the words:

__ could blight or sorrow___
Death came with friendly____
The opening bud in Heaven

For your information the other two Willson burials were:

Mary W. (Willson) Halliday
1895-1969
wife of Robert Halliday
1887-1969

Muriel Alberta (Willson) Giles
May 18, 1883-Apr.17, 1956
wife of Allan S. Giles

There were 19 Wilsons spelled with one "l".

John Franklin's burial was in Section N grave 13. There was this note with this section:

This section contains the bodies moved from St. Peter's churchyard, Thorold. Many, many of the tombstones have long disappeared. However, thanks to avid genealogists, their records are still preserved.

Also for your information:

1. The transcribers in the 1980s couldn't make out whether the middle initial for Hugh on the stone was a P or an R. In an earlier transcription that I checked (1920s) the middle initial was noted as P.

2. Knowing that families tend to repeat names down the generations, I checked an index of births from 1869 to1899 from the area to see if I could find a Hugh or John Franklin Willson. This is what I found:

John Franklin Willson born in Caistor 5/30/1881
Hugh Wellesley Willson born in Caistor 7/3//1876

There were 3 other Willsons born in Caistor and many other Willson births in the area in this time frame. (I believe the old Caistor Twp was in Lincoln County.)

The registration number for each birth in the index is given and I could email this number to you if there was a particular name(s) you were interested in. You would need this reg. number if you wished to borrow the microfilm from the Archives of Ontario to view the original registration document.

I hope this helps.

Sharon
Welland, Ontario
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
tommaepagdin 28 Nov 2004 1:01AM GMT 
Sharon 30 Nov 2004 1:23AM GMT 
Mae Pagdin 30 Nov 2004 4:38AM GMT 
Sharon 12 Dec 2004 11:15PM GMT 
Mae Pagdin 13 Dec 2004 10:25PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions