Search for content in message boards

Hamilton Foundling Home

Replies: 3

Re: Hamilton Foundling Home

Posted: 7 Jun 2013 4:05PM GMT
Classification: Query
I was told my grand-father was an orphan all my life. When I started researching several years ago I found that he was born out of wedlock. His father was his uncle. Apparently his mother has an affair with her brother-in-law and hence my grandfather came into the world. He looked so much like his half-brother that they kept him away from his family. His mother died when he was 15 months old and he was shifted from foster homes to an orphanage. He ended up being sent to Canada as a British Home Child in 1899. He ended up in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. He married my grand-mother and moved to Michigan. I have researched and found lots of information on his family in England and have made contact with distance relations. Quite a story! What I would suggest is writing to the city of Hamilton and asking about the orphanages in the Hamilton area and maybe even the local library could give you some information or the Archives of Canada. Don't give up he is out there in a record somewhere. I am still trying to locate my great-great grand-father and have come to a brick wall but I keep trying. Good luck. Susan
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Mbentley58 11 Apr 2013 6:34PM GMT 
londer 7 Jun 2013 8:39PM GMT 
Mbentley58 7 Jun 2013 9:01PM GMT 
londer 7 Jun 2013 10:05PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions