Search for content in message boards

Hamilton Foundling Home

Replies: 1

Hamilton Foundling Home

Posted: 11 Apr 2013 12:35PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Heslop/Hislop/Hyslop/Haslip/Heaslip etc.
My Great Grandfather was taken to the Hamilton Foundling Home (or Children's Home) in the late 1860s. It's believed his parents died. He shows up for the first time in the 1871 census as a "stray" living on the farm of Edwin & Margaret Gray. The only clue I have to his heritage is his marriage certificate which lists his parents as Mathew and Mary Heslop. His name was Wesley Henry Heslop. I have tons of information from 1871 onward but nothing of his mysterious parentage. He was born between 1859 & 1861 depending upon which census you believe and was Methodist. I have been searching for over 25 years to no avail. His name was Wesley Henry Heslop (Hislop/Hyslop) and sometimes was referred to as John Heslop. Anyone having any information on the Hamilton Foundling home, I would love to hear from you. By the way, the information in my tree shows a Mathew & Mary Heslop but I am not convinced they are the correct ones. Thank you.
marilyn B.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Mbentley58 11 Apr 2013 6:35PM GMT 
londer 7 Jun 2013 8:34PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions